Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch Workout app randomly pauses in the middle of workouts. I was told to reboot the watch, that made no difference.

My Apple Watch Workout app randomly pauses in the middle of workouts and ends up recording very little of the actual workout.

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 3:49 AM

Auto-Pause, poor Heart Rate readings

Make sure you have turned off Auto Pause. This can be done in the Watch or in the My Watch App on the phone in  the Workouts section

Third party apps like Strava or Under Armor etc  may also have auto pause that has a threshold way above your pace. 

Learn how to lock the screen against accidental  tapping by hand or loose clothing consult this article

Use the Workout app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Skin pigmentation and Tattoos will affect the light transmission required by the wrist detection and HRM on the back of the watch

Wearing on the other wrist or further up the arm may help but there is no other workaround for tattoos which affect all makes of sports watch

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2022 3:49 AM in response to WayneMaker1

Auto-Pause, poor Heart Rate readings

Make sure you have turned off Auto Pause. This can be done in the Watch or in the My Watch App on the phone in  the Workouts section

Third party apps like Strava or Under Armor etc  may also have auto pause that has a threshold way above your pace. 

Learn how to lock the screen against accidental  tapping by hand or loose clothing consult this article

Use the Workout app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Skin pigmentation and Tattoos will affect the light transmission required by the wrist detection and HRM on the back of the watch

Wearing on the other wrist or further up the arm may help but there is no other workaround for tattoos which affect all makes of sports watch

My Apple Watch Workout app randomly pauses in the middle of workouts. I was told to reboot the watch, that made no difference.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.