Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch does not calculate active calories

hi

my apple watch is not show any active calories during workout, even though the heart rate is measured just fine.

tried factory defaults - didnt help.

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 12:55 AM

If your Apple Watch is not showing active calories during a workout, there may be an issue with the settings on your watch or the data that is being recorded by the watch. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Make sure that the "Workout" app on your Apple Watch is set up correctly to track active calories. To do this, open the "Workout" app on your watch and go to the settings. Make sure that the option to "Show Active Calories" is turned on.
  2. Make sure that your Apple Watch is properly calibrated. If your watch is not properly calibrated, it may not accurately track active calories. You can calibrate your watch by going to the "Watch" app on your iPhone, then selecting "Privacy" and "Motion & Fitness." From there, you can follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate your watch.
  3. Restart your Apple Watch. To do this, press and hold the side button on your watch until the Power Off slider appears. Then, drag the slider to turn off your watch. After your watch is off, press and hold the side button again to turn it back on.
  4. If the issue persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling the "Workout" app on your watch. To do this, open the "Watch" app on your iPhone, then tap "My Watch" and "Installed on Apple Watch." Find the "Workout" app in the list and tap the "i" icon next to it. Tap "Uninstall App," and then confirm the action by tapping "Uninstall" again. After the app is uninstalled, tap "Install" to reinstall the app on your watch.
  5. If you still cannot see active calories on your Apple Watch, you may need to contact Apple for further assistance. They may be able to help diagnose the issue and suggest additional steps to try.

Note: The exact steps for troubleshooting this issue may vary depending on the model of your Apple Watch and the version of watchOS you are using. If you need further assistance, you can refer to the Apple Watch user guide or contact Apple for support.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2022 12:55 AM in response to lalacojo

If your Apple Watch is not showing active calories during a workout, there may be an issue with the settings on your watch or the data that is being recorded by the watch. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Make sure that the "Workout" app on your Apple Watch is set up correctly to track active calories. To do this, open the "Workout" app on your watch and go to the settings. Make sure that the option to "Show Active Calories" is turned on.
  2. Make sure that your Apple Watch is properly calibrated. If your watch is not properly calibrated, it may not accurately track active calories. You can calibrate your watch by going to the "Watch" app on your iPhone, then selecting "Privacy" and "Motion & Fitness." From there, you can follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate your watch.
  3. Restart your Apple Watch. To do this, press and hold the side button on your watch until the Power Off slider appears. Then, drag the slider to turn off your watch. After your watch is off, press and hold the side button again to turn it back on.
  4. If the issue persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling the "Workout" app on your watch. To do this, open the "Watch" app on your iPhone, then tap "My Watch" and "Installed on Apple Watch." Find the "Workout" app in the list and tap the "i" icon next to it. Tap "Uninstall App," and then confirm the action by tapping "Uninstall" again. After the app is uninstalled, tap "Install" to reinstall the app on your watch.
  5. If you still cannot see active calories on your Apple Watch, you may need to contact Apple for further assistance. They may be able to help diagnose the issue and suggest additional steps to try.

Note: The exact steps for troubleshooting this issue may vary depending on the model of your Apple Watch and the version of watchOS you are using. If you need further assistance, you can refer to the Apple Watch user guide or contact Apple for support.

Dec 11, 2022 1:11 AM in response to Rossnic

thanks for the fast reply!

regarding 1 - can you please explain how to I go to the setting in the workout app from the watch... ?

I tried from the iPhone but didn't find "Show Active Calories" (see attached screenshot)

looking at the health data source & access i do see the active calories count (another screenshot attached.)

however - i did notice that under setting --> Privacy & Policy --> Motion & Fitness the Health was turned off.

i turned it on now - hope that's would solve it

apple watch does not calculate active calories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.