Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod mini

Hi,

I have currently an Apple Music Account, an IPhone 12 and the latest IPad Pro. I would like to buy a HomePod Mini for my 8 years old son and I have a few questions before.

I understood how to set up the HomePod Mini via the Home App but once installed what does the HomePod require to work without any phone or iPad nearby? Is it actually possible? I mean, my son has no phone yet nor an IPad, and I would not like to keep my phone or iPad nearby just to make the HomePod work. Is it sufficient to have a internet connection to make it work?

And it would only be to play music from Apple Music in his room. I guess I would need to setup a family account on Apple Music, right?

I would really be happy if someone could answer all those questions because I am unable to find anything helpful on the net.

Thanks in advance,

Alain

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 11:44 AM

HomePod mini requires an . From HomePod - Technical Specifications:

System Requirements

• HomePod with the latest version of software
  • iPhone SE, iPhone 6s or later, or iPod touch (7th generation) with the latest iOS; or iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2 or later, or iPad mini 4 or later with the latest iPadOS
  • 802.11 Wi-Fi Internet access

A suitable iOS device is needed for setup, and needs to be on the same network to use optional features that fall under the category of personal requests, but your son doesn't need to use those. For music playback all that is required is an Apple Music subscription (or content on a device that uses AirPlay) and an internet connection. Your Apple Music subscription would suffice as long as you and he don't want to stream content at the same time, otherwise a family subscription will help with that, and allow him to build up his own Apple Music collection without affecting yours.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2022 11:44 AM in response to AlainCrai

HomePod mini requires an . From HomePod - Technical Specifications:

System Requirements

• HomePod with the latest version of software
  • iPhone SE, iPhone 6s or later, or iPod touch (7th generation) with the latest iOS; or iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2 or later, or iPad mini 4 or later with the latest iPadOS
  • 802.11 Wi-Fi Internet access

A suitable iOS device is needed for setup, and needs to be on the same network to use optional features that fall under the category of personal requests, but your son doesn't need to use those. For music playback all that is required is an Apple Music subscription (or content on a device that uses AirPlay) and an internet connection. Your Apple Music subscription would suffice as long as you and he don't want to stream content at the same time, otherwise a family subscription will help with that, and allow him to build up his own Apple Music collection without affecting yours.

tt2

HomePod mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.