Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tvos 16.2 up next

Anyone found a way of returning the top line of the Apple TV app to Up next? tvOS 16.2 seems to have changed it to thumbnails largely pushing Apple TV+ content. It is infuriating and makes the Apple TV far less appealing.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 5:01 AM

Apple welcomes your feedback comments at: Feedback - Apple TV - Apple.

• tvOS 16.1 had Up Next in the top row of the Watch Now tab, followed by a row of What to Watch. The tv+ tab had a first row of Featured, followed by a row of Up Next on Apple TV+. Two rows visible in initial view.
  • tvOS 16.2 now shows (for me) one row of Up Next tiles in the Watch Now tab in the initial view, with (presumably) What to Watch in the space above that (not matching the highlighted show in the 1st row anymore), horizontally scrollable. The tv+ tab now shows one row of Up Next on Apple TV+ tiles in initial view, with various Apple TV+ shows in the space above that, horizontally scrollable. IMO, it is a pity that in both tabs, these are promoted without matching your preferences or watch history genres. It is a step backwards from personalization and good recommendations. Like watching mass media ads. Give us preference settings to get to see relevant things, and not see irrelevant things.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 5:01 AM in response to michael.amherst

Apple welcomes your feedback comments at: Feedback - Apple TV - Apple.

• tvOS 16.1 had Up Next in the top row of the Watch Now tab, followed by a row of What to Watch. The tv+ tab had a first row of Featured, followed by a row of Up Next on Apple TV+. Two rows visible in initial view.
  • tvOS 16.2 now shows (for me) one row of Up Next tiles in the Watch Now tab in the initial view, with (presumably) What to Watch in the space above that (not matching the highlighted show in the 1st row anymore), horizontally scrollable. The tv+ tab now shows one row of Up Next on Apple TV+ tiles in initial view, with various Apple TV+ shows in the space above that, horizontally scrollable. IMO, it is a pity that in both tabs, these are promoted without matching your preferences or watch history genres. It is a step backwards from personalization and good recommendations. Like watching mass media ads. Give us preference settings to get to see relevant things, and not see irrelevant things.

Dec 21, 2022 2:19 AM in response to michael.amherst

I agree with you for what it’s worth. I can’t live with the giant ads for appletv+ while they minimize the upnext which for me was the main reason I used the app. I’m going to have to rely less on it as they made the up next so much smaller like next time it will be gone or we will have to scroll to the bottom for it. Broke a good things in my opinion I hope they fix it.

Jan 7, 2023 3:35 PM in response to michael.amherst

tvOS 16.2 ruins the whole reason I got an Apple TV device. The shows I choose to watch or applications as the main menu items on "Watch Now", "Up Next". Now I have to put up with my main view being a huge advertisement of Apple TV shows I don't even like, in fact, for the most part I cringe at. This is such an enforced reality, if the content was good, it would sell itself and I would have chosen it for "Up Next". This coming after Apple already stole the first 8 lines of choices for Apple TV+. I would have made TV+ my starting screen if I had liked the content. Apple used to be about providing a wide range of content purchased, rented or apps, now it's TV+ in your face until you get rid of the Apple TV device.

Jan 7, 2023 5:20 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I have given feedback to apple, I just hoped that we’d see more support for a return to “normal” for up next. While I realize you are have a great idea in giving feedback to the company sometimes the only thing that makes companies change direction is PUBLIC outrage or desire for change. Why do you think apple keeps liking/recommending the idea of only giving feedback even though they are obviously reading what we have written? It’s because no one else sees that but them. I hope there are many who have given feedback regarding the change to up next as part of a way to inundate one with appletv- as I don’t know anyone that likes the change. If it’s still there by the next update I’m getting rid of my channels/subscriptions inside AppleTv app and using only the apps directly and will try to keep track of the shows across all of the individual apps. Maybe they will lose a bit of revenue if one subscribes directly through the individual apps as I’m not sure if they get a bigger cut inside appletv vs the AppStore cut. If it continues on from there I will probably examine some other boxes besides Apple TV (after about 4 or 5 years of using Apple TV box) like Roku or just use my smart tv apps. Or maybe apple will let someone use the tool they use to pull what was last watched from each app and they can make a app we can get in the AppStore that has similar functionality as up next once did. At this point I’d pay for a app for that functionality. As it stands now up next is too small and more than likely the next update will bring talking moving previews above up next. I’d rather ads for toilet paper to run than the content from Appletv-.

Jan 7, 2023 5:30 PM in response to Edward1908

I know exactly how you feel. They are driving me away from the appletv app and my subscriptions inside it. May even drive me away from my Apple TV box completely as well as my parents who it really helped figure what they were watching across multiple apps and now they have to spend more time trying to make sure of what they are looking at watching and don’t like using streaming as much, maybe it’s because they are older either way the change upsets them for their reasons and the won’t comment to apple they will say “I’ll vote with my wallet”. It’s just too bad as I really like going to appletv app to get started and see what was there to watch. Anyway it took public complaint/comment if memory serves to get apple to quit doing something similar with Apple Music pushing their service above everything else and appletv- is behaving in a similar fashion. I wonder (for when I get rid of this apple box) can one access their purchased movies etc from a Roku, smart tv app or some other such device?

tvos 16.2 up next

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.