Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16.2 Homekit problem - other users cannot access the home

Hi

Did the 16.2 update yesterday and subsequently updated the Home app only to find that other users now cannot access the home and only see an empty my home page with no accessories showing.

On all hubs (2 x HomePods & 1 x AppleTV), I have also updated the software to the latest released yesterday.

Tried to delete / re-add home on one of the other users devices (my work iPhone, also on 16.2) and it makes no difference. When I try and delete this profile in home from my personal iPhone (which is the resident, owner), get message 'could not modify user's access'

Anyone have the same or any ideas?

thanks

Simon

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 10:22 AM

Yeah, that's what mine said. Try some of the things I did:

1. Signing out of cloud, restarting, then signing back in
  2. Toggle the Home setting under iCloud
  3. Completely wiping that particular user's [the one that can't be removed] HomeKit configuration with this profile: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOSProfiles/HomeKitReset.mobileconfig
  4. Wiping the device and restoring from a backup.

Maybe one of those options led to my success?

[This is a Direct Download Link]

Similar questions

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 10:22 AM in response to benmully

Yeah, that's what mine said. Try some of the things I did:

1. Signing out of cloud, restarting, then signing back in
  2. Toggle the Home setting under iCloud
  3. Completely wiping that particular user's [the one that can't be removed] HomeKit configuration with this profile: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOSProfiles/HomeKitReset.mobileconfig
  4. Wiping the device and restoring from a backup.

Maybe one of those options led to my success?

[This is a Direct Download Link]

Dec 17, 2022 3:07 AM in response to swaterhouse

I had the same issue. My wife could receive the invite but could not join. Nothing happened after accepting. Her phone was updated after switching to the new Home architecture. I thought nothing worked until I did this:

(I was able to delete my wife from homekit users on my admin phone)

1. turn off all iphones
  2. unplug all hubs (reboot is not sufficient)
  3. wait couple of minutes
  4. plug in all hubs
  5. start up iphones
  6. the wife was instantly able to access our home again

Hope this helps someone.

Dec 14, 2022 4:48 AM in response to swaterhouse

Same issue here. I hope I don’t have to delete my home and reinstall everything.

There are other reports for the same problem, like identical:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/zlgt59/homekit_new_architecture_pending_invites/

https://www.macuser.de/threads/ios-16-2-eingeladene-homekit-user-sind-aussen-vor.912781/

glad I am not the only one - chances are higher now for apple addressing/fixing this issue.

Dec 14, 2022 5:53 AM in response to swaterhouse

I've got a similar issue, but not exactly the same.

I have a "house phone" that has a guest iCloud account that I keep around for an extra device to control the home.

On my main device, it shows this person as having accepted the invite normally but the home is nowhere to be seen and I can't remove them from my main device- I get the "Could not modify user's access" message and the spare device's home app is stuck in "Loading Accessories and Scenes". All other devices received their invitations quickly and worked flawlessly.

Tried wiping the device three times, force closing, etc.- even setting up a new iCloud address (which ended up with my being stuck in the "Loading Accessories..." screen again).

All devices updated to 16.2 and new architecture installed. Just the one phone won't get added to the home.

Dec 14, 2022 12:16 PM in response to swaterhouse

Same issue. I was fine but my wife was not able to join. All devices including her iPhone were upgraded to 16.2. I could see her as a resident on my phone but could not remove her. I kept trying different things including signing out of iCloud until all of a sudden all of my 110 devices started to say unresponsive and then they all disappeared! Everything is gone including my 60+ scenes! It’s making me a little sick thinking about rebuilding by entire HomeKit setup

Dec 14, 2022 4:45 PM in response to swaterhouse

I've gone through this once before, and used the profile from reddit mentioned from other posters, a few months ago. Now, with 16.2, having similar issues I had before prior to nuking it all and having to add everything back. Now, I have one family member that gets invite, but then cannot see home accessories.

I just really don't get why apple doesn't address these issues once and for all. it seems with every single update, HomeKit is effected adversely.

Dec 14, 2022 11:54 PM in response to Captiveb0lt

Even a rich company like Apple has to hire off the shelf engineers. There is no magic involved. Decisions are made about architecture and how to implement something and then budgets are drawn up. Apple has one major flaw and that is that it destroys globally adopted/evolving standards in favor of its own if it sees opportunities to commercialize on its own standard. The lightning plug is a good example, versus common usb. So in the case of HomeKit I suspect the same story. It designed its own architecture (ignoring FHEM, ioBroker, Home Assistant,…) and went its own way thinking it can do better again. Only now Matter came to the scene and Apple probably saw its entire ecosystem becoming an island of incompatible junk if it didn’t join the alliance. I think matter is why home is undergoing “architectural “ changes. It’s not because Apple is just so caring and forthcoming and supportive of Matter that it did it, but simply because it has to to survive in the competitive automation market. And we all the pay price for its bad design choices in the form of flaky iOS upgrades, bodged HomeKit updates and still-working like it’s 2010 Siri. If you don’t want any of this, reduce your exposure to iCloud and Apple products. Perhaps go for another brand. Consider open source for your home automation. But don’t expect that it will make your life easier, on the contrary. That integration and easiness is what I expect from Apple. :)

Dec 15, 2022 10:37 AM in response to swaterhouse

The trick to fix it for my wife’s phone was to delete the blank home on her phone (the one Apple sets up as the original on a new install) and then the invitations started coming through and she could accept. After that it took a minute or two and all the notifications started popping up about sharing accessories etc. Hope this helps someone else.

iOS 16.2 Homekit problem - other users cannot access the home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.