Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for Apple Pencil 1st gen to always stay connected?

Is it normal for Apple Pencil 1st gen to always stay connected to my iPad? If no, what can I do to like turn it off? I have Apple Pencil 1st gen with IPad 10th gen.

Thank you,

Émile

iPad (10th gen) WiFi

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 6:03 AM

Yes - this is entirely normal and by design. As your Pencil doesn’t have an on/off switch, your Pencil is effectively “always on”.

Whenever your Pencil detects the slightest movement, it will “wake” - and connect with the iPad with which it is paired. When completely stationary and undisturbed for a short period, the Pencil will transition to its low-power sleep state - and drop its Bluetooth connection with the host iPad. When the Pencil detects any movement at all, it will again wake and restore the connection with the host iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 6:03 AM in response to émile241

Yes - this is entirely normal and by design. As your Pencil doesn’t have an on/off switch, your Pencil is effectively “always on”.

Whenever your Pencil detects the slightest movement, it will “wake” - and connect with the iPad with which it is paired. When completely stationary and undisturbed for a short period, the Pencil will transition to its low-power sleep state - and drop its Bluetooth connection with the host iPad. When the Pencil detects any movement at all, it will again wake and restore the connection with the host iPad.

Is it normal for Apple Pencil 1st gen to always stay connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.