Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Sierra 10.12 not installing

Hi Guys

I made the mistake of buying a late 2013 27" iMac as a second computer for home use. (Late 2013 3.2 GHz intel core i5)

The computer runs on os Yosemite, but what I did not realise at the time of the purchase is that there are issues to update to later OS versions.

I did a factory reset, but nothing works. Safari does not allow me to login to the iTunes store - says password is incorrect + Safari also says that a secure connection cannot be established with Apple.com - go figure that - how is that even possible??

However, according to my research, this iMac can be upgraded to some later versions so that it can actually be used for something other than a paper weight.

I also did all the steps to check for certificates, DNS, IP address, etc - still nothing.

I then downloaded Sierra 10.12 from Apple support via the Chrome browser - installed it successfully (well according to the installer at least) - restarted the computer - still Yosemite. My thinking was that if I could install Sierra 10.12 Safari/Chrome/Firefox browsers would actually work and then maybe I could proceed to install to the latest possible os version that can run on this computer - no go :-(

Just don't know what to do next - please put me out of my misery and advise me how to get this freaking computer updated to a later os version so that I can actually use it.

All the tech we as a family own is Apple, and I am really disappointed that I am struggling with this issue - all my other devices just work with no issues - was expecting the same with this computer.

Cheers

D

PS - this message is sent from my other iMac - 2014 version that works just fine and runs on the latest os version, because my "new" 2013 iMac paper weight does not allow me to do anything.

iMac 27″

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 2:54 AM

Hi Dialabrain :-)

Solution is actually simpler than I thought. I am used to windows where a download initiates the installation when opened. The instructions from Apple states very clearly (I might add :-)) that once I downloaded and ran the download, I actually have to go to the applications folder and select and install the os that I want to install - did that and it installed Sierra with the 1st attempt - so I am a happy camper now.

Even Safari is working just fine.

I will do the upgrades up to the point where the 2013 model can go no further, but I should still get some good mileage from it - especially since I am installing some more RAM as well.

Thanks for your help anyway - much appreciated.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2022 2:54 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi Dialabrain :-)

Solution is actually simpler than I thought. I am used to windows where a download initiates the installation when opened. The instructions from Apple states very clearly (I might add :-)) that once I downloaded and ran the download, I actually have to go to the applications folder and select and install the os that I want to install - did that and it installed Sierra with the 1st attempt - so I am a happy camper now.

Even Safari is working just fine.

I will do the upgrades up to the point where the 2013 model can go no further, but I should still get some good mileage from it - especially since I am installing some more RAM as well.

Thanks for your help anyway - much appreciated.

macOS Sierra 10.12 not installing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.