Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Emptying the trash..." dialogue box hangs endlessly

Hello,

I have a 14" 2021 MacBook Pro on Ventura 13.1. Every time I empty the trash, the dialogue box just hangs there and says it's deleting endlessly. I have to manually cancel the process, and then my trash is successfully emptied. Does this no matter what's inside the trash - tried throwing in an empty folder and it did the same thing. Any suggestions on a fix?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 2:02 AM

Hello I'm having the exact same issue after Ventura update from Monterey.

Yes rebooting temporarily fixes the problem, but it look it always comes back after some time (and no, I don't think that rebooting in safe mode adds any additional help).

I was not able to find the reason originating the issue at the moment.

I just could understand (by checking trash directory with the terminal while emptying the trash) that trashed files are stille there until you close the window manually and they disappear only when you manually close the progress window.

Here the link to the other thread I created: Trash emptying window stuck in progress - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2023 2:02 AM in response to Mmartino88

Hello I'm having the exact same issue after Ventura update from Monterey.

Yes rebooting temporarily fixes the problem, but it look it always comes back after some time (and no, I don't think that rebooting in safe mode adds any additional help).

I was not able to find the reason originating the issue at the moment.

I just could understand (by checking trash directory with the terminal while emptying the trash) that trashed files are stille there until you close the window manually and they disappear only when you manually close the progress window.

Here the link to the other thread I created: Trash emptying window stuck in progress - Apple Community

"Emptying the trash..." dialogue box hangs endlessly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.