Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is "File>Relink Project Files" in FCPX?

Several other online tutorials say that you can "File>Relink Project Files" if you only want to relink for a specific project but not for ALL projects in that library. That's what I want to do. But that seems no longer to be an option. Anyone know a way to relink a file for only one specific instance of a file within one project... without it relinking for EVERY instance of that file in all the other projects, too? I'm in FCPX 10.5.4 in OS 10.15.7

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 7:57 PM

I figured it out, and it's glorious!! Although you can no longer relink only within a specific project, any relinking only affects the projects in THAT EVENT. So I just copied the event nine times and then went to the copied project in each event and relinked in that project, thus having the effect of creating nine new, different projects now reference different PNGs but all have identical transforms and edit points. HUZZAH!! Thanks for all the ideas. Wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't mentioned exporting as XML. Thanks!!!!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 7:57 PM in response to terryb

I figured it out, and it's glorious!! Although you can no longer relink only within a specific project, any relinking only affects the projects in THAT EVENT. So I just copied the event nine times and then went to the copied project in each event and relinked in that project, thus having the effect of creating nine new, different projects now reference different PNGs but all have identical transforms and edit points. HUZZAH!! Thanks for all the ideas. Wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't mentioned exporting as XML. Thanks!!!!

Dec 14, 2022 6:50 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

That's what it seems. There definitely USED to be. When you went to the FILE menu, it was context specific. You could see "Relink Event Files" or "Relink Project Files" depending on what you had selected, etc. It looks like they've done away with the option. What I'm trying to do is the following:

I have a PNG that I made 90 seconds long, and I bladed it into about 60 different smaller clips with a bunch of different transforms, etc. My goal is to have nine separate, other pngs that are all bladed identically and have all the same transforms. I've created nine separate projects that are currently identical and all reference the same PNG. If I could point each one to each of the appropriate PNGs, I'd be home. I could bring in the separate pNGs into each project and manually blade them all and copy/paste the transforms one clip at a time, but that will take FOREVER. I've already successfully relinked one png to a different one, and it worked great. But now they are ALL linking to the new one.

Any thoughts?

There USED to be a way to relink a clip for only one project, etc. But that functionality seems to have disappeared. It drives me crazy when Apple takes AWAY functionality when it adds new functionality. Why can't it just ADD?

Dec 27, 2022 8:25 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I can see why you might think that. But what I’m actually remembering is a time when you could re-link files specifically for one clip, one event or only for one project. For example, look at this example from a much older version of FCP, back when you could do it. In this example you can see relating only for one project. Similarly, you used to be able to click on a clip and re-link just that *one* instance and not *every* instance of the clip. It appears that Apple has just done away with this specific functionality:

https://youtu.be/kpmX0y2ncrU?t=189

Dec 27, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Hammeron63

That's nine years ago, pre-10.1, when there were no libraries, and projects and events were independent file components, stored separately. Because they're now stored together as components in the same structure they can't be separated. The process being described in that video is actually now much, much simpler to perform, though at the loss of being able to relink clips in projects and events independently, because they aren't.

Dec 27, 2022 9:46 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yep. Exactly. 👍🏻

At least my workaround above accomplishes what I wanted. It appears that projects and events now all “talk to each other” if they’re in the same library, so relinking one instance relinks them all. But if you relink a clip in library A, it doesn’t affect a clip in library B.

Interestingly, if you then drag a relinked clip or event to a *new* library, it will preserve any link changes you’ve made, so I was able to effectively relink the same clip to multiple, different new clips as I needed… I just had a few extra steps than I would have had in an older version of FCP.

Where is "File>Relink Project Files" in FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.