Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura: After restart or screen saver, my mouse can't select anything but it moves.

I have installed Ventura 13.1 on my MacBook Pro, 16 in, 2019. It works well except when it recovers from the screen saver or starts up, I sometimes get a spinning pizza or no activity when I try to click on anything with my mouse (both Apple bluetooth and a USB-wired). It doesn't matter whether stage manager is on or not. However the mouse does move and there is no lag on movement.

Any one else have this issue? And if so, have you found a cure/fix/kludge?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 1:55 AM

It is fixed. It has to do with the Apple screen saver. I was using Drift in MacOS 12. In MacOs 13, Drift was slow to start but I never paid much attention to it. So I changed to Flurry and the spinning pizzas went away.

As I mentioned, I did everything: Safe boot, changed and deleted login items, reset NVPRAM and SMC; and reinstalled MacOS 13.1. Nothing worked.

Changed the Apple screen saver, it all went back to normal and works so good (so far).

I guess it is a foible of an Intel MacBook Pro and Ventura.

Thanks for all those comments.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2022 1:55 AM in response to William Hakes

It is fixed. It has to do with the Apple screen saver. I was using Drift in MacOS 12. In MacOs 13, Drift was slow to start but I never paid much attention to it. So I changed to Flurry and the spinning pizzas went away.

As I mentioned, I did everything: Safe boot, changed and deleted login items, reset NVPRAM and SMC; and reinstalled MacOS 13.1. Nothing worked.

Changed the Apple screen saver, it all went back to normal and works so good (so far).

I guess it is a foible of an Intel MacBook Pro and Ventura.

Thanks for all those comments.

Dec 17, 2022 6:25 AM in response to William Hakes

William Hakes wrote:

I have installed Ventura 13.1 on my MacBook Pro, 16 in, 2019. It works well except when it recovers from the screen saver or starts up, I sometimes get a spinning pizza or no activity when I try to click on anything with my mouse (both Apple bluetooth and a USB-wired). It doesn't matter whether stage manager is on or not. However the mouse does move and there is no lag on movement.
Any one else have this issue? And if so, have you found a cure/fix/kludge?

Do a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies.

Reboot as normal and compare your results

Dec 23, 2022 3:01 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi, I have stopped a lot of useless things loading at start up. No difference. I am reset both the NVPRAM and the SMC: Maybe some difference. I have re-installed MacOS 13.1 in recovery mode: Maybe a bit of a difference.

I have 32GB of memory and about 2TB of space on my hard drive. Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. I doubt it can be a resource issue but then who knows... It could also be a bug with the video drivers??

I have disabled the screen saver for a long time and don't turn off the screens. That is the last thing I can do. Maybe MacOS 13.2 will just fix it?

Thanks for the ideas.

Bill

Ventura: After restart or screen saver, my mouse can't select anything but it moves.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.