Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview redaction tool bug

After using the preview app to convert an image into a pdf using the redaction tool doesn't properly work on that pdf. In addition to redacted areas, other not selected areas of the document are redacted as well. When using another method to convert the image to a pdf, the redaction tool works without problems.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 10:02 AM

Are you rotating the image? Either before or after conversion? I just tried a simple example that was accidentally in the wrong orientation. I rotated and redacted it and my redactions showed up twice, both in the correct location and rotated.

I tested this on Monterey. Then, I tried it on Ventura 13.1. The only difference I can see is that Ventura kept the text pointer because it was able to recognize text, so it was easier to select the areas I wanted redacted.

But the end result was the same. The document was essentially corrupted. I suggest you don't use the redaction feature. Make the edits on the JPG itself and then export the end result to PDF. Don't use the redact feature at all.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2022 10:02 AM in response to thegreenmile

Are you rotating the image? Either before or after conversion? I just tried a simple example that was accidentally in the wrong orientation. I rotated and redacted it and my redactions showed up twice, both in the correct location and rotated.

I tested this on Monterey. Then, I tried it on Ventura 13.1. The only difference I can see is that Ventura kept the text pointer because it was able to recognize text, so it was easier to select the areas I wanted redacted.

But the end result was the same. The document was essentially corrupted. I suggest you don't use the redaction feature. Make the edits on the JPG itself and then export the end result to PDF. Don't use the redact feature at all.

Dec 18, 2022 5:22 AM in response to thegreenmile

thegreenmile wrote:

After using the preview app to convert an image into a pdf using the redaction tool doesn't properly work on that pdf. In addition to redacted areas, other not selected areas of the document are redacted as well. When using another method to convert the image to a pdf, the redaction tool works without problems.

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 18, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I used the 'Export as PDF' function on a JPG.

I opened the PDF an used Redact tool on the required areas.

I saved the PDF.

When I open the PDF afterwards there are additional blacked out areas, but without the grey x across the area.

I tried it multiple times with different JPGs and always had the same result.

When using a different method to coverte the picture or just using a normal, not converted PDF I had no problems.

Preview redaction tool bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.