Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Numbers 12 really not support user-created custom templates?

Does Numbers 12 really not support user-created templates?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 8:25 AM

See this documentation: Numbers User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

6 replies

Dec 19, 2022 3:32 PM in response to Badunit

In hindsight I realize it sounds stupid, but what seems to have happened is that the app, virgin to the new MacBookPro, never got the large cohort of my custom templates transferred when I did migration assistant. Since there were no templates CREATED in the new version of the app, there was no category for custom templates. If it is how the transition works, though it's crap, because I had to get out the old computer, transfer the templates one by one to a folder, load the folder into the new Numbers, open each one separately, and save it as a new template. Once just one of those had gone through that process, which took the better part of an hour, then at least the command 'save as template' became visible. But surely all the user templates should have been loaded during the migration?

Dec 20, 2022 7:17 AM in response to Owen Daly1

In Ventura you can find your user templates here:

/Users/<your user name>/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Numbers/Data/Library/Application Support/User Templates

In Finder menu choose Go, hold down the option key and click Library and navigate to that location.

Or Go > Go to Folder ... and past in the path using your correct user name on the Mac.

Then you can copy your template files and move them to that location on your new computer.

SG

Dec 20, 2022 8:50 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yes, I finally figured out that when I moved all my stuff from the failing butterly-keyboard MacBookPro to the new machine, Migration Assistant managed to fail to move all of my many already-made custom templates. I was able to open them on the old machine, and take each blank template after opening it and move it to a folder, then manually RE-save them as custom templates in the new Numbers application.

Although no one proposed this as my problem, reading the various replies I have gotten helped me to get some clarify in my mind about how to proceed, and for that I'm very grateful.

Does Numbers 12 really not support user-created custom templates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.