You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers iPad

Can you format cells for phone numbers and emails?

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 12:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 4:47 PM

Dan Derby wrote:

Actually, the support for Numbers on Apple Support pales in comparison to the support I had when using Excel.

I suggest and recommend review of the Numbers User Guide for iPad - available both as an online resource and as a download for Apple Books:

Numbers User Guide for iPad - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/numbers-user-guide-for-ipad/id1450570987

Here is another useful resource:

Numbers - Function list - Apple (UK)

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2022 4:47 PM in response to Dan Derby

Dan Derby wrote:

Actually, the support for Numbers on Apple Support pales in comparison to the support I had when using Excel.

I suggest and recommend review of the Numbers User Guide for iPad - available both as an online resource and as a download for Apple Books:

Numbers User Guide for iPad - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/numbers-user-guide-for-ipad/id1450570987

Here is another useful resource:

Numbers - Function list - Apple (UK)

Dec 19, 2022 1:36 PM in response to Dan Derby

Dan Derby wrote:

I’m looking to format a column to take a 10 digit number, add the (xxx) and the dash.

As ChrisJ4203 suggested, that is just what the Contacts app does.

In this example, I literally typed “9876543210” in the “Mobile” field.

And yes, this would automatically dial as well!

And Contacts can be exported using the “Share Contact” button toward the bottom of each contact.

Dec 19, 2022 1:38 PM in response to Dan Derby

How are you currently managing your contacts? When using the Contacts app, it will provide the formatting you need when you enter the phone number. If you were asking if you could use the Numbers app to create a file, I'm not familiar with using the Numbers app. You can dial from the Contacts app. The Contacts app allows for name, address, email, phone numbers and notes.

Dec 20, 2022 7:52 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, I am NOT using the Contacts app, I’m trying to enter phone numbers into a Numbers worksheet. It would be nice to have the worksheet convert 10 digit numbers into a (xxx) xxx-xxxx format in order to save time formatting each number. It would also be nice to import this number (and email) to the Contact app. Just trying to make my worksheet easier to use.

Dec 20, 2022 11:03 AM in response to sberman

I’m trying to build a worksheet which tracks project bids by categories. Each row includes bid categories, types, contractor, including cells for email and phone numbers. Pretty simple stuff. In Numbers, I can automatically format for dates (where I can input number and get it to translate to different formats), currencies (where I can choose how I want these numbers to display without having to enter a $ symbol, decimal point or commas). However, Numbers appears to lack the ability to automatically translate fields based on simply entering a 10 digit number to automatically format a phone number. Same said for emails. Does this cover trying to cover what I’m trying to do? Actually, the support for Numbers on Apple Support pales in comparison to the support I had when using Excel.

Numbers iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.