Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird Chrome window focus since some recent updates

Hi community,

My question is regarding how to change the way shortcut (command + W) works in Chrome for Mac, basically, when you use Chrome for Mac, you can use (command + W) to close a tab.

Chrome window focus scheme #1

Some time ago with both Apple silicon and Intel Macs, this command always closes the tab of the window(or desktop if Chrome is used in a full screen mode) where the mouse is in, and you do not need to do anything to get the Chrome focus, meaning you can switch desktops use (command + W) to close a tab right in the new window. This is intuitive and I have been using full-screen Chrome like this for years.

Chrome window focus scheme #2

Somehow lately(I do not know how long ago though), the (command + W) begins to close the tab of last active window/desktop, say you are working on a desktop, and you switch to another desktop but do nothing, (command + W) will close the tab of last window/desktop if you do not scroll or click. This is very counterintuitive to me. I feel like this is the update of Chrome for Mac that caused it as my old Mac with macOS Catalina still works in the old way. I cannot find an way to change the setting in the preference of Chrome though.

How to update the setting of the Chrome behavior to the Chrome window focus scheme #1?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 4:37 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Weird Chrome window focus since some recent updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.