Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My dog’s airtag is notifying everyone when it goes for a walk without me

We have a new AirTag on my dogs collar and the first day going to work my wife and neighbours are texting me because they’re getting notifications when the dog is going for a walk. Can I change the settings to prevent this? I’m only seeing options for other apple users to turn off their notifications. It’s nice to have the alert as an option, but not always on. We might have to already stop using it :(

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 12:30 PM

Thanks for your response. I get that it is designed to do this, I just expected there to be a way to opt out of this particular feature. Tile, for example, will sound an alarm or alarm others when the owner intentionally marks it as lost, not every time you’re separated from it and it moves. I expected it to be like this.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 12:30 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for your response. I get that it is designed to do this, I just expected there to be a way to opt out of this particular feature. Tile, for example, will sound an alarm or alarm others when the owner intentionally marks it as lost, not every time you’re separated from it and it moves. I expected it to be like this.

Dec 22, 2022 11:49 AM in response to devinlandis

Your Airtag is operating the way it is supposed to operate if it is out of range of its paired device with your ID. An Airtag isn't really suitable for the purpose for which you are using it. If it was you (presumably your Apple ID on the Airtag) and you were taking a dog for a walk and it suddenly broke loose from you then it would be working the way it should. Review this document for Airtag basics. AirTag - Apple

"AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff [for example, your Airtag while your wife walks the dog], your iPhone will notice it’s traveling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there."

My dog’s airtag is notifying everyone when it goes for a walk without me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.