Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With an Apple Watch with only GPS can you message while your iPhone's away?

If you buy an Apple watch with only GPS can you have your iPhone away and message while connected to internet?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 5:24 PM

5 replies

Dec 22, 2022 7:05 PM in response to max_E

If you are wanting to leave your phone at home and jog around town, you will need cellular. Cellular requires an additional line of service which there's an additional monthly fee for.

I had a Series 3 w/GPS (not cellular) since they came out. I liked it, but I wasn't ever very far from my phone.

The GPS can keep track of your morning jogs or afternoon bike rides, you just won't be able to do much else (no texts, emails, phone calls, etc.) unless your phone is with you.

Your activity will sync to your phone when you get back in range.

Another thing, my series 3 watch connected to my Wi-Fi. I was able to leave my phone inside the house on the charger and be out in my shop well beyond Bluetooth reach. I'm confused as to why the answer to your question was a firm no originally. That's why my answer was yes & no.

With an Apple Watch with only GPS can you message while your iPhone's away?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.