Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD replacement

I followed advice on here and I have installed a snazzy new SSD and so far, pretty good, except I am having a few issues. Safari is the biggest problerm, as it has forgotten all my browsing history (previously intact). I had to find the 'SSD replacement' topic I started recently through the browsing history on my iPad, which was rather fiddly.

Additoionally, Time Machine is getting conflicted about being able to do a backup since I now have two "Macintosh HD" volumes, one with my old stuff on it, and the other the new SDD. It is asking me to rename the disc named "Macintosh HD - Data". I am confused as to which one my volumes that actually is. When I single-click on either of the "Macintosh HD' names" neither one of them allow me to rename them anyway.

Many thanks!

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 6:42 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 23, 2022 12:05 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you for your reply. Following the instructions here Use an external SSD as your startup disk … - Apple Community and here How to download macOS - Apple Support , I downloaded a copy of Big Sur through the App Store, then selected the SSD as the install location and installed it. During this, I migrated all of my old (Fusion) drive to the new drive. As I realised I have a huge amount of user files, I am going to delete what I don’t need any more.

Even though I only did this install last evening, I can’t now recall at exactly what point I started the migration process. I deleted the installer some time later but I have emptied my waste bin, otherwise I would start the installer again and go over the steps I would have taken yesterday evening. Can I (or should I) start over?

I have attached a screenshot of the Disk Utility window, as well as the pop-up I was getting from Time Machine.

SSD replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.