Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Final Cut Pro can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 11.5.1 or later is required." but i have catalina osx 10.15.7

with mac osx 10.15.7 wanting to install the latest version of final cut pro i recieve this error message: Final Cut Pro can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 11.5.1 or later is required.

why?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 9:20 AM

Your OS cannot run the software. Apple only sells the current version of the software. If you want an older version you first need to purchase the version Apple sells, which can only be done on a more recent OS. If you can make the purchase using your Apple ID you would then be able to download an older version.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 9:20 AM in response to xyz_n

Your OS cannot run the software. Apple only sells the current version of the software. If you want an older version you first need to purchase the version Apple sells, which can only be done on a more recent OS. If you can make the purchase using your Apple ID you would then be able to download an older version.

Dec 23, 2022 9:38 AM in response to xyz_n

The message you are getting is correct.

In Catalina you can only run an earlier version (perhaps 10.5.4, I can’t confirm right now).

Are you trying to run the trial, or the full version?

I am afraid that for the trial you can only get the current, so no luck on Catalina.

If it is the full version and you have purchased FCP already, click on your account at the bottom left of the App Store to see your purchases; click the Download button and you will be told that the current version is not compatible and asked if you want the most recent version that works in your OS.

If you are trying to purchase, you will have to do it in a mac running at least Big Sur, and using YOUR Apple id; then in your Catalina mac you can do as above described.

"Final Cut Pro can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 11.5.1 or later is required." but i have catalina osx 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.