Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically assigned an Apple ID

I was trying to set up my husbands replacement phone for the ios11 he lost last year. I was waiting to get a hold of Apple (I read we should have reported it to them) and he started playing around with it and was assigned an iCloud ID. Is it the same as Apple ID? I would be more comfortable having his old ID back. Can I change it back?

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 6:54 PM

If he completed the device setup and created a new iCloud account, then yea, that iCloud email address is also an AppleID.

But you can just erase the device and set it up again using his previous AppleID and either ignore the new AppleID or even ask Apple to delete it (see -> How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support).

To erase it and start over agin, just go to settings, general, transfer or erase, and select erase all content and settings. The device will reboot back to the Welcome Menu, and just go through setup again, but using his previous AppleID to restore from and sign into iCloud with.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 6:54 PM in response to Buschyjones

If he completed the device setup and created a new iCloud account, then yea, that iCloud email address is also an AppleID.

But you can just erase the device and set it up again using his previous AppleID and either ignore the new AppleID or even ask Apple to delete it (see -> How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support).

To erase it and start over agin, just go to settings, general, transfer or erase, and select erase all content and settings. The device will reboot back to the Welcome Menu, and just go through setup again, but using his previous AppleID to restore from and sign into iCloud with.

Automatically assigned an Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.