Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Windows 10 22H2 KB5012170 Error: 0x800f0922

Hello all, I have a 2019 16" MacBook Pro running macOS Ventura 13.1 and the latest version of Bootcamp according to Apple Software Update. Recently I noticed that when attempting to install the Windows 10 22H2 update, I keep getting an error with code 0x800f0922. According to my research this error usually comes from not having enough space on your System Recovery Partition (Closest thing to that I can see is a 300MB EFI Partition), a corrupted component of Windows update (I've ran the troubleshooter, sfc/scannow, and DISM tools to clean up any potential errors), or a connection issue like a VPN or firewall blocking communication to the update servers (ruled out by testing known good networks and the issue still happens).

At this point, I'm left with two avenues:

1. Expand the EFI partition from 300MB to 500MB using a 3rd party tool, hope nothing breaks, and see if that fixes it.
  2. Wait for Apple to roll out a fix (not likely) for this issue seeing as a similar issue has occurred with Parallels VM users, and the issue seemed to be TPM related. Seeing as Intel Macs have no TPM of any kind, there is not likely to be a fix.

Parallels VM thread: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/failed-to-install-windows-update-kb5012170.358161/

If any of you have ran into this issue, let me know of any potential fix. I mainly use Bootcamp to play games when traveling. Not being able to update to the KB5012170 update is not important, but if Apple is going to support Macs that can run Bootcamp, Bootcamp should work correctly (if this is indeed the problem and not something else).

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 2:49 PM

I have the exact same problem when trying to update Windows 10 on an iMac 5k 2020 with Boot Camp.

I think it is important to install every security updates to maintain a stable and secured OS.

Apple needs to make a patch or any other solution so users are not struck here.

Please Apple, come forward we need your help here.....

Similar questions

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2023 2:49 PM in response to Dr_Macintosh

I have the exact same problem when trying to update Windows 10 on an iMac 5k 2020 with Boot Camp.

I think it is important to install every security updates to maintain a stable and secured OS.

Apple needs to make a patch or any other solution so users are not struck here.

Please Apple, come forward we need your help here.....

Jan 10, 2023 2:23 AM in response to Dr_Macintosh

I have the same problem with this update (KB5012170) error (0x800f0922).

This update partly concerns the DBX boot system... which concerns security with TPM... but which according to Microsoft must not be blocking to be installed (TPM or not, the patch is able to installed) except that no, there is a bug with the update on some machines depending on the BIOS or other side updates.

It's been 6 months that Microsoft has not been able to correct the problem of this update. The fact that MACs are equipped with the T2 chip does not help.

After being unable to install Windows 11, now Windows 10 beginning to suffer from Microsoft's negligence, signs that mark the beginning of the end of Windows on our Macs... Now we must implement a 100% migration schedule on MacOS-intel and thus prepare the migration to Apple-silicon... and having to change professional software...

Jan 13, 2023 12:36 PM in response to Dr_Macintosh

Same problem here (MacBookPro16,1) searching for hours to find a fix but not successful so far.

At the moment is looks like not a bootcamp or mac problem as the problem is widely spread also for native windows systems. According to this article https://winfuture.de/news,133551.html it already appeared in a patch in August 2022 already and occurs now again. The article also referes to an official statement from MS: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2#2883msgdesc. So it is quite possible that MS has to fix something first before we call out for Apple to help I guess.

Jan 13, 2023 12:53 PM in response to Dr_Macintosh

Actually it's not just a BIOS update but a change in the motherborad BIOS setting of any Windows based desktop/laptop PC would settle the conflict and let you install the Windows 10 22H2 KB5012170 update.

In any Apple computer you have no access to the BIOS. It's "restricted area" for users because of the hardware/software structure Apple uses...it's simply not designed to be changed or updated by end users.

Jan 19, 2023 7:23 AM in response to Dr_Macintosh

If I may reenter the discussion: Still no real solution, i.e. KB5012170 works with older Macs (like my Mac Pro 2013) but not with more recent ones with T2 security chip (like my iMac Pro 2017) or such like.

Trying to figure out and understand what the update tries to do and what are the risks not to apply it I found a interesting contribution of Susan Bradley, https://www.computerworld.com/article/3683213/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-microsoft-s-kb5012170-patch.html . She mentions something you might call the ostrich-like method, namely block the update KB5012170. Then you will not see it any more, but you could decide later to make it available again. Fortunately, she links to a website with relevant tools, https://blockapatch.com/ . And, surprise, toll number one is a Microsoft tool, wushowhide.diagcab. I used it and selected KB5012170 to disappear. And it disappeared (after a restart).

Please, be very careful to estimate the risks with and without KB5012170!!!

Jan 27, 2023 7:16 AM in response to Dr_Macintosh

Just adding in on the topic. I’m also having the very same issue. 2019 Intel 16.1 MacBook Pro. Also running the latest software on both Mac and windows. Don’t know about you but it’s kind of annoying having that unsolved update. Most of the times I couldn’t even finish the download, then, one day the update managed to be downloaded and ready to be installed but sadly, after a reboot, the update wasn’t successfully installed and it had to roll back the installation.

Jan 30, 2023 8:19 AM in response to Dr_Macintosh

Yes Microsoft recommends updating the BIOS... for those who have an update to do!... the others? Microsoft is behind a BIOS update... visibly at MS they have been bothered with this update since August 2022. PCs are also affected (not all...) hence Microsoft's total incomprehension. Well, that's when you want to impose bogus security (TPM) to secure a "universal" OS... reverse of glory...

In short, the cup is full... anyway the end of Windows on MAC is inevitable. So now we have to prepare for it. A choice to be made, a waiver to be made: Windows with a PC or MacOS on a Mac!!!

It's the end of the two worlds together. The most complicated are the pro software that you have to find on MAC if you still want MAC... (and good luck for the players).

Feb 17, 2023 1:45 PM in response to VOGH

Same here. iMac 2020. After getting again and again this problem, i was making a clean new install of WIN10.

before that i was getting sure and save my files on an external USB drive. But my drive crashed, it was just bad luck. ALL my files is gone. And after that perfect new white install - you know what ? - SAME F/ PROBLEM.

APPLE GET IT TOGETHER - PLEASE

Feb 20, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Dr_Macintosh

MBP 2019 16, Monterey 12.6.3, same issue.

It does look like the writing is on the wall, but it'd be nice to eke out some more time with Bootcamp.

Anyone try monkeying around with the partition with a 3rd party tool and live to tell the tale?

EDIT: Re-reading the thread I opted to block the offending update. But I guess I'll start budgeting for a gaming PC. :(

Bootcamp Windows 10 22H2 KB5012170 Error: 0x800f0922

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.