Unable to enter recovery mode since failed bootcamp installation

MacBook Air 2018 (Intel) issue

Hello,

Let me tell you about a problem I have since yesterday with my MacBook Air 2018, which so far has been working fine.

I got it from my father-in-law who won't be able to use it anymore.

Since this model has an Intel processor, I wanted to install Boot Camp and Windows 10 on it, and since then the Mac has stopped booting. (I should tell that Bootcamp had never been used on this Mac before).

While installing Boot Camp (using the Boot Camp Setup Assistant) everything was fine, then an error occurred while installing Windows. No way to quit the Windows installer. So I turned off the Mac with the power button.

Then when I restarted the Mac, the screen remained black, with no "Bing starting", but with a small white wheel spinning for a few seconds. Then it restarts in a loop (black screen, no "Bing", spinning white wheel, black screen, etc.)

(The "Bing" I'm talking about is the sound of the Mac starting up, unrelated to Microsoft's search engine).

I did a PRAM reset, after that the loop became: "Bing", black screen with white Apple logo, black screen, "Bing", screen with white Apple logo...

Here are all the tests I ran on this poor machine:

- I tried to access the recovery mode (command - R) -> always the same loop

- I tried to access recovery mode via the internet (command - option - R) -> Bing, choice of network, download for 10min, then, at the end of the download, black screen, Bing, choice of network… loop

- I tried to access recovery mode via the internet and with the original system of this Mac model (command —option - shift - R) -> Loop: Bing, choice of network, download for 10min, then, at the end of the download, black screen, Bing, choice of network… in a loop

- Tried to boot in diagnostic mode (D on boot), still this looping reboot

- Tried booting in safe mode (Shift on boot), still looping reboot

Alternate start test:

- I restarted with the Option key, there I see 3 boot disks: The MacOS and 2 BootCamp Windows volumes.

- If I choose MacOS, I get the "Bing" loop, black screen with white Apple logo, black screen, "Bing", screen with white Apple logo...

- If I choose one of the 2 BootCamp partitions, generally it makes this same loop. BUT, sometimes it comes back to installing Windows, and there I can either quit the installation or continue the installation until the Windows error comes back.

- I created a Ventura installation usb key from another Mac (same generation, same OS version and Intel processor), I tested this key on this other Mac, the key boots perfectly . I have access to recovery mode etc. But when I want to boot with this key on my MacBook Air, I start with the Option key, I see the installation key, I select it but it doesn't go any further. The Mac restarts in a loop without ever displaying the recovery mode.

I've called Apple several times, but they don't have anything else for me to test.

Looks like the Mac is still in "Installing Bootcamp" mode and it can't finish this. Two things give me this impression:

- Booting with the Option key shows 3 volumes (1 MacOS and 2 BootCamp). The fact that there are 2 Bootcamp leads me to think that there is one that is temporary and should automatically delete itself at the end of the Windows installation (which does not happen)

- The Macbook turns on as soon as I touch its keyboard (strange?!?)

Who has an idea to explore?

Who knows the internal process of installing Bootcamp (by internal process, I mean everything that the Bootcamp assistant does without being visible (creation of partition, installation of Windows, etc...).

I'm pretty sure it's a software problem and if I take the Macbook to Apple I don't know what they'll do, but they might charge me for something I could have done myself.

I also don't want to pay for a part replacement (for example, changing the SSD, which of course should work. But the SSD is not removable, so I don't know what they will find to charge).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Posted on May 23, 2023 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2023 6:54 AM

Sorry about that, I copied the wrong link. Here is the proper link for 2018+ Intel Macs (surprised Apple did not have a link to the Intel version like so many other articles):

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

May 25, 2023 1:39 PM in response to Foups

If you can no longer boot into macOS, then you will probably be better off performing a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical SSD (Intel Macs only) before reinstalling macOS & restoring from a backup. If you have access to another Mac running macOS 12.4+, then you can also "Restore" the firmware which will reset the T2 security chip & firmware which will erase the internal SSD. The firmware "Restore" I believe will also properly partition & format the internal SSD so that macOS can be reinstalled. I am not sure if the firmware "Restore" will push a new clean copy of macOS onto the internal SSD, or whether you will need to reinstall macOS through Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R).

Trying to fix possible partition issues can be difficult and that may be why macOS is not currently booting. Plus things get tricky with these 2018+ model Macs with their security enclave chips (T2 chip in the case of your laptop). A firmware "Restore" is the best option if you have access to another Mac.

May 25, 2023 1:49 PM in response to Foups

Hey Foups,

Since Apple Support was unable to help get your 2018 MacBook Air working again, we recommend taking it to have it inspected. This page can help you locate the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service provider who may be able to help: Find Locations

Depending on what they discover, this article can provide an estimation of the cost involved based on different scenarios: Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

All the best.

Unable to enter recovery mode since failed bootcamp installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.