Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Ventura Installation Problems.

I have been trying to install the new Ventura Operating system unsuccessfully on my iMac since it was first released.

Current spec's of iMac:

2019 iMac 27"

3.7Ghz Processor 6 core Intel Core i5

48Gig of memory

2Tb Fusion drive with 1.22TB of free space.

Current OS Monterey 12.5.1

Configuration:

I have the MAC firewall enabled.

I have a VPN running connected to a US host. ( I have attempted all updates with and without the VPN connected and the results are the same. In the past, this has not affected any Apple updates, or any other s/w updates)

First indication of a problem:

I attempted to install the update for Monterey, 12.6.2

The download would timeout.

I would boot into safe mode and I was able to successfully download the update

The installation process would start and usually at the 26 minutes remaining mark I would get the following error message "An error occurred preparing the update" Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again"

I deleted the software update and attempted it again from both regular login and safe mode, both produced the same results, and always at the 26 minutes remaining.

I decided to wait for Ventura to come out and when it did I encountered the same problems as above. The installation problems occur in both the safe mode and regular login, and always at the 26 minutes remaining, and always produces the same error message:

"An error occurred preparing the update" Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again"

Any suggestions/ideas ?

thanks Rick

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 11:58 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Dec 26, 2022 12:05 PM in response to rickstir1966

You should build a bootable USB installer from the Install macOS Monterey or Ventura installation image. Then boot from that flash drive and run disk utility First Aid on both the HDD and SSD that make up your Fusion Drive. If there is a problem with either of those disks it will cause a lot of problems. Performing First Aid by booting from a USB flash drive means the Fusion Drive won't be in use at all. Unlike using even Recovery Mode because Recovery boots from the Fusion Drive. You'll need a 16GB or larger USB flash drive. Hold the Option Key when powering on to boot from the Flash drive.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Dec 27, 2022 4:41 AM in response to James Brickley

James, thanks for the suggestion. I followed your instructions and loaded it with Ventura, here are the results:

1. When I booted from the USB drive and go into the Disk Utility there is Mac HD partition and a Mac HD-Data partition.
  2. When I ran First Aid on the Mac HD partition, there were a lot of errors. I uploaded to photos of the errors that were encountered. First aid was unable to resolve them.
  3. There were some minor errors on the Data partition but First Aid resolved them.
  4. I rebooted the mac and logged in to ensure everything was working normally and it was.
  5. I rebooted from the USB again and ran First Aid, I encountered the same errors on HD partition and First Aid could not resolve them.
  6. I rebooted into Safe Mode and attempted to install Ventura and it failed at the 26 minute remaining again.

Any other ideas or should I schedule an appointment with Apple ?

Thanks....

Dec 27, 2022 5:10 AM in response to rickstir1966

Thanks, this identifies the root cause of your problems. But let's get more specific information.

Open up Disk Utility again, you don't need to be in Safe Mode nor booting from the USB drive.

Go to the View menu and select Show all Devices. Here's an example of what I see on my internal SSD on my sidebar:

When you expand out all the tree branches you can see there's the APFS 'Container disk3' which holds the 'Macintosh HD volumes' which holds a greyed out Macintosh HD which has a 'Macintosh HD snapshot'. Then you have the Data volume. The display of this information will likely vary as this is how Ventura displays it. For example, the Data volume might be listed as 'Macintosh HD Data'.

Regardless, what's happening here is the System volume is the read-only (why it's greyed out) 'Macintosh HD' and the snapshot is taken from that read-only immutable volume. The OS is booted from that snapshot which is signed and sealed by Apple. Meanwhile the Data volume is where all your data and other user data as well as applications you installed reside.

If the disk errors are on the System volumes then that might indicate a disk failure. Since you have a Fusion Drive in an iMac it consists of a small SSD volume paired with a HDD volume that is much larger. Any complete disk failures on either of those two drives can result in catastrophic data loss. I suspect your HDD drive has some bad sectors and it might be getting ready to die completely.

BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA ASAP to an external drive large enough to hold it all. You can use Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner to accomplish the task or you can just copy all your Desktop / Documents and anything else important off the Mac.

In order to confirm a hardware failure, a professional would need to wipe out the Mac completely, break the Fusion pairing, test both the SSD and the HDD. Identify and confirm there is a hardware disk problem. Analyze the S.M.A.R.T drive diagnostics, etc. Then if the HDD is dying as I suspect to be the case. I would highly recommend replacing the Fusion SSD / HDD with a single large SSD the biggest you can afford. You might not actually need 2TB's of internal storage. You might be able to offload data to external drives for archival, etc.

If you are lucky, there won't be any hardware failure and you can simply re-install Big Sur 11.7.2 from scratch and restore your data and upgrade to Ventura. But from experience, it's possible that 2TB HDD is getting ready to die and it's been experiencing problems for quite some time.

Dec 27, 2022 5:20 AM in response to James Brickley

When I say break the pairing of the SSD / HDD Fusion drives. There is a software level pairing of the two physical devices. That needs to be removed so you can see both individual drives instead of appearing as a single device. That way, Disk Utility can display the hardware S.M.A.R.T status on each device and you can run First Aid on each disk. Then you would erase both the SSD / HDD and recreate the Fusion pairing if there are no hardware failures indicated by errors in S.M.A.R.T. If there are hardware errors, then the physical disks need to be replaced.

Opening up an iMac is not an easy task even for a professional. It involves removing the front glass with special tools, breaking the seal and removing a glued gasket. Then removing the actual LCD panel behind the glass to access the system board. At that point you can replace the Fusion SSD / HDD disks with a single large SSD. Then put it back together and replacing the glued gasket properly and ensure you don't break anything. It's a daunting task. You also need to make sure you obtain the correct gasket and the proper glue, etc. I think Apple is making it easier with their new repairability changes to obtain the parts you need. Where in the past you were buying from 3rd party vendors and you didn't always receive quality. For example, there were reports of iMacs front glass falling out because the gaskets were not correct. Plus when you remove a gasket you need to scrape off all the glue and clean the surfaces with alcohol, etc. Again, attention to detail and doing things the right way is paramount to a successful repair.

I would highly recommend you work with Apple directly or an authorized Apple hardware support center. To get the Fusion drives repaired.

Dec 27, 2022 8:42 AM in response to rickstir1966

If you still run into the problem you could call them back. If it were me. I would go so far as to undo the Fusion so Disk Utility can see both the SSD and HDD then you can check the S.M.A.R.T status take a photo with your iPhone and explain to Apple that you have hardware faults on the Fusion SSD or HDD as proof. Of course that results in complete data loss so again, BACKUP is Step ONE!

You can identify the fusion pairing by using Terminal:

diskutil apfs list

Look for the "virtual disk" that is the "Fusion Drive" and you can then do this:

diskutil apfs deletecontainer disk#

Where disk# is changed to be the virtual disk Fusion Drive.

Then when you do diskutil list you will see both the SSD and the HDD listed. Then you can open the graphical Disk Utility and check both with First Aid and look for the S.M.A.R.T status to see if it shows any errors. If they both state Verified then they are working fine without a hardware fault.

Then you can follow the diskutil resetFusion instructions for Mojave or newer and that will re-pair the SSD and HDD back together as a Fusion Drive with APFS as the old Core Storage is no longer used.

Then you can install macOS clean and restore your data from backup.

OS Ventura Installation Problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.