Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is lost exactly resetting my iPhone?

So I’ve lost my iTunes password and understand that the only way to clear the old password is to reset it.

But… what exactly does resetting actually lose and what will remain?

Will my apps and data still be in the same folders and locations?

Will I lose all the stored passwords?

I really need to know so I can prepare properly.

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 6:21 AM

Whoa. Let's start over again and have you tell us what message is appearing on your iPhone's screen?

Unavailable? Security Lockout? Something else?

If your iPhone requires resetting, then you will be erasing the iPhone and starting all over again with a new setup. The iPhone will look just like it did when you first took it out of the box when it was new.

If you have a current backup of the iPhone, you can use that to restore the settings and data on the phone, so it will look like it did just before the time that you forgot your password.

Now, back to your original question......."What is lost exactly resetting my iPhone?" The answer is frankly "everything", so if you think that it might be possible again to forget a password that you were sure that you wouldn't, it might be a good idea to write down the new password and keep it in a safe place in your desk.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 6:21 AM in response to Anubis33

Whoa. Let's start over again and have you tell us what message is appearing on your iPhone's screen?

Unavailable? Security Lockout? Something else?

If your iPhone requires resetting, then you will be erasing the iPhone and starting all over again with a new setup. The iPhone will look just like it did when you first took it out of the box when it was new.

If you have a current backup of the iPhone, you can use that to restore the settings and data on the phone, so it will look like it did just before the time that you forgot your password.

Now, back to your original question......."What is lost exactly resetting my iPhone?" The answer is frankly "everything", so if you think that it might be possible again to forget a password that you were sure that you wouldn't, it might be a good idea to write down the new password and keep it in a safe place in your desk.

What is lost exactly resetting my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.