Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to transfer data from my old Mac's hard drive to my new Mac if I no longer have my old Mac?

I have my old MacBook Pro's hard drive but I recycled it at the Apple store so I no longer have access to it, but I would like to transfer the data from the hard drive onto my new MacBook Pro.

I've researched online how to transfer the data but everything I've read so far requires both Mac's or using the last backup from my old Mac using Time Machine but there's nothing there.

Is this even possible to do or any advice?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 8:18 AM

If you do not have a backup (time machine or other external drive) or the actual old hard drive, no, there is no way to access the info on the old one. It may have already been wiped. You need to have access to it or its contents.

3 replies

Dec 24, 2022 8:01 AM in response to 503jazzy

Although the instructions detail how it is done Mac-to-Mac, you can indeed use a 'regular' locally attached hard drive (NOT just a Time machine backup) as the source of the information to be transferred.

When you go to specify the source, local drives are typically shown as well. Just select that drive (not calling it a time machine drive).

Dec 24, 2022 8:25 AM in response to 503jazzy

Babowa is correct -- without physical possession of that drive, there is no way to access the old data.

My answer above presumed that you Do indeed have the old drive in your possession, removed from the old Mac and installed in an external enclosure, and physically connected to the new Mac.

if you turned in the drive with your only copy of your files when you turned in your computer, your data are GONE.

Is it possible to transfer data from my old Mac's hard drive to my new Mac if I no longer have my old Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.