Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VENTURA overallocation error

command:

sudo fsck_apsf -y -o /dev/diskxsx

does not work. Says: "unknown command"

Try to fix above mentioned error message. That is a serious problem, because if you do not fix that after some time, you get some problems. Applications does not work suddenly. 2 weeks ago Safari did not work suddenly, had to re-install it, and 3 days before Opera did not work suddenly. Had to re-install again. Checking the disk with Apply HD Utility found above problem.

In Big Sure I was able to fix that problem running 2 or 3 times TechTool15 and Apple HD Utility.

This does not work in VENTURA. And TechTool16 reports no full compatibility to VENTURA.

So I hope to fix the problem with above terminal command. Otherwise I have to delete my boot volume and installing a fresh VENTURA system and restore all other things from backup drive.

This error occurs regularly after 6 to 8 weeks. I use an external SSD, USB 3 connection, inateck housing. Interesting: my bootable clone drive (Terramaster 2 bay raid, 2 normal HD's, USB-C connection) never had such overallocation error.

Maybe an issue with SSD or inateck housing?

Eventually I will use a Terramaster D5-300 or Yottamaster DF4RU3 as boot drive. I have 4 WD Gold for testing that, but unsure to use Terramaster or Yottamaster.

Thanks for any ideas....!

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 4:29 AM

Maybe the fact that you are missing the built-in commands implies something is seriously wrong with your drive.

Similar questions

3 replies

VENTURA overallocation error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.