You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Shell/Keyboard Cover on MacBook Air M2

I just got a MacBook for Christmas as well as a hard shell case for the bottom and top and a rubber keyboard cover, I have seen mixed reviews as to if this is good for the MacBook or if it could damage the hinges and make them weaker over time. I also heard that the keyboard cover and the shell case could cause problems with the computer venting properly. I am willing to do whatever I need to do to make sure that my MacBook stays in the best condition possible but I don't really know because I've seen so many different things. Please let me know what I should do.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 12:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 5:07 AM

The hard shell cases are made of plastic. Plastic is a very good heat insulator. The M2 MacBook Air has no fan to cool the internals and uses its metal case to get rid of the internal heat.

With that said, putting a hard shell case on an M2 MacBook Air is like putting an overcoat on it and trapping the heat inside therefore causing it to run hotter, which is not a good thing. So, do not use a hard shell case!!!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 26, 2022 5:07 AM in response to charliemiche

The hard shell cases are made of plastic. Plastic is a very good heat insulator. The M2 MacBook Air has no fan to cool the internals and uses its metal case to get rid of the internal heat.

With that said, putting a hard shell case on an M2 MacBook Air is like putting an overcoat on it and trapping the heat inside therefore causing it to run hotter, which is not a good thing. So, do not use a hard shell case!!!

Hard Shell/Keyboard Cover on MacBook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.