You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move from Family Storage to Personal Storage

What if you are in a family storage and want to move to personal storage instead? In my case, I have 70 GB of iCloud family storage in use.

Ideally, I would like the flow to be:

1. Buy Personal Storage
  2. Confirm Personal Storage in use
  3. Leave Family Storage

But Apple's flow is a bit different:

1. Leave Family Storage
  2. Buy Personal Storage if you want it.
  3. Use Personal Storage

My concern is - what happens after #1 in Apple's flow? Do I just not have enough storage? Does Apple delete any data?

Even though I don't think this would technically happen or this would be a disaster, the flow doesn't give me much context/information to proceed.

Any guidance on this? Thanks

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 6:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 6:38 AM

As sad in this discussion

if I downgrade iCloud storage, will I los… - Apple Community

You can access photos, videos, and documents for 30 days after you delete or disable iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Drive. So I think its the same leaving family storage

and in this article it says

Downgrade or cancel your iCloud+ plan - Apple Support

• If your iCloud storage exceeds your new storage plan capacity, iCloud won't sync or update your information. iCloud updates again when you increase your storage capacity or delete information to make more space. 
  • If you downgrade or cancel your iCloud+ plan, the change takes effect after your current subscription billing period ends.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 26, 2022 6:38 AM in response to kartikthapar

As sad in this discussion

if I downgrade iCloud storage, will I los… - Apple Community

You can access photos, videos, and documents for 30 days after you delete or disable iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Drive. So I think its the same leaving family storage

and in this article it says

• If your iCloud storage exceeds your new storage plan capacity, iCloud won't sync or update your information. iCloud updates again when you increase your storage capacity or delete information to make more space. 
  • If you downgrade or cancel your iCloud+ plan, the change takes effect after your current subscription billing period ends.

Dec 26, 2022 1:08 PM in response to kartikthapar

Hi,

My inclination would be to try it in your order and see if it works. If it does then great. If it doesn't then maybe give Apple a call and ask them if there's a way to make it work.

This is what Apple says about downgrading:

What happens when you downgrade or cancel iCloud+

• If you downgrade to the free iCloud plan, you will no longer have access to iCloud+ features like Hide My Email, Private Relay, and HomeKit Secure Video support.2
  • If you pay for both Apple One and an iCloud+ plan, you can downgrade or cancel the iCloud+ plan and just use the iCloud+ plan included in Apple One.

I note that it doesn't say it will actually delete items, it will just stop you from adding anything more. In that case if you downgrade and then upgrade all should be as it was. I know that observing the phrasing of Apple documents does not make for a comfortable feeling so again, maybe ask Apple since their documentation does not make this clear.

Oh, and when you find out, please post here so I know the answer. You're not the first to have asked. ;-)

Contact Apple. Click here --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support Select your country, then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Move from Family Storage to Personal Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.