Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos from my iPad would delete them from my synced iPhone?

I am afraid to clear storage on I pad because it’s connected to my phone so will also delete like pictures off my phone. I can’t figure out how to separate them. My I pad doesn’t have very much storage so is always full from my phones info saving on I pad.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 7:59 PM

If you have icloud enabled on both devices then you are correct to be concerned. What you need to do is to back the photos up elsewhere then you can delete them off the device. Such as a different backup service - drop box, or some other independent cloud service. Or you can purchase physical media. There are some flash drives that work for both iDevices and computers that you can use to back up photos on.

If you don’t want your phone photos saving onto you ipad you can always turn off icloud syncing for the photos.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2022 7:59 PM in response to Turquoisegirl

If you have icloud enabled on both devices then you are correct to be concerned. What you need to do is to back the photos up elsewhere then you can delete them off the device. Such as a different backup service - drop box, or some other independent cloud service. Or you can purchase physical media. There are some flash drives that work for both iDevices and computers that you can use to back up photos on.

If you don’t want your phone photos saving onto you ipad you can always turn off icloud syncing for the photos.

Dec 27, 2022 7:58 PM in response to Turquoisegirl

"I am afraid to clear storage on I pad because it’s connected to my phone so will also delete like pictures off my phone. I can’t figure out how to separate them. My I pad doesn’t have very much storage so is always full from my phones info saving on I pad."

-------

Create a Backup:

As long as there is an external backup of these photos, then there will no issue of losing them. If they are downloaded to your iPhone, then there would be no issue of losing them either.

A. Upload All to iCloud

As long as they are in iCloud, then they will stay there. So, enable photos in iCloud in settings little it all upload. Once uploaded, delete these form your iPhone.

How to Enable Photos in iCloud Settings:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: your name (top item)
  3. Tap: iCloud
  4. Tap: Photos
  5. Tap: iCloud Photos (so that it is green)

B. Check iCloud Directly:

Verify that they reside in iCloud Photos, prior to resting your iPad. Log in here: https://www.icloud.com/photos

Deleting photos from my iPad would delete them from my synced iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.