Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini 6 not recognized by my PC or iTunes

PC running Windows with all latest updates and iTunes 12.12.7.1. iPad running iPad OS 16.2. I also have an iPod Touch that is recognized by both my PC (in Devices and drives) and iTunes.

When I first got my iPad (5 days ago) my PC and iTunes recognized it. I did install an app from the Apple App Store and had some trouble with it so I deleted it. All seemed well until I connected the iPad to my PC using a USB port on the motherboard. The battery icon on the iPad indicates it's charging but the iPad isn't shown in either the PC or iTunes.

I contacted Apple support but they couldn't fix it and suggested I contact Microsoft and as what in Windows 10 could have a conflict with iOS 16.2!! (Support did say that if Microsoft didn't have an answer to call Apple Support again.)

Since then I've uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, reset the iPad and did the setup again and still no luck.

Any suggestions?

iPad mini 6 Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 3:44 PM

See About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and reset your trust settings. Then connect the device while it is unlocked and see if you get the Trust This Computer prompt.

tt2

10 replies

Dec 29, 2022 12:24 PM in response to Castingman

12.7 would be going back too far, iOS 16 was released in September so suitable versions to try might be:

Once one of these are installed you can try the detailed steps in iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows - Apple Community to select the correct driver. It is important to ignore Windows when it claims the best driver is already in place.

tt2

Dec 28, 2022 3:37 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your response tt2. Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work.

With my iPad unlocked (I assume this means: enter passcode and go to home screen.) Device Manager > USB controllers shows no Apple Mobile Device USB Driver or anything with the word "Apple". There are no entries for Imaging Devices, Portable Devices, Other Devices, or MTB USB Device. So the iPad isn't recognized by my PC although when I connect the USB cable to my PC I hear the chime from the iPad and it indicates it is charging.

When I connect my iPod, USB devices appears in Device Manager and under it are Apple Mobile Device USB Composite Device and Apple Mobile Device USB Device. Windows says the drivers are up to date. Also, the iPod appears in iTunes.

I should have mentioned I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Dec 28, 2022 4:37 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again but still no luck.

iTunesHelper on my PC was disabled so I enabled it, Reset Network Settings on my iPad and then restarted both my PC and iPad. On the iPad I rejoined my wi-fi network and connected the iPad to my PC. The iPad chimed and showed it was charging but did not show the Trust This Computer dialog window and iTunes still doesn't see the iPad.

Dec 29, 2022 11:31 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again for your persistence. Here's what I've tried so far:

Downloaded the latest (12.12) iTunes installer from MS.

Uninstall iTunes using the Control Panel. Restart PC. Install iTunes from the Setup.exe file. No change.

Uninstall iTunes using the iTunes installer. Restart PC. Install iTunes from the Setup.exe file. No change.

Repeat the first 2 steps installing iTunes component files one at a time. No change.

Downloaded an earlier version of iTunes (12.7) and repeated the first 3 steps. No change.

(No change = iPod recognized by iTunes but not my iPad.)

At this point I'm beginning to think I should exchange the iPad!

iPad Mini 6 not recognized by my PC or iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.