Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back up a locked iphone in the icloud if it has not been synced to my macbook prior?

How do I back up a locked iphone in the icloud if it has not been synced to my macbook prior?

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 6:22 AM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2022 9:16 AM in response to rhilmi

Hi there rhilmi,

If you are trying to back up your iPhone using iCloud, these steps from How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud show how:

1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Go to Settings > [your name], and tap iCloud.
iPhone showing the screen at Settings [your name]. iCloud is selected.
3. Tap iCloud Backup.
4. Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process ends. Under Back Up Now, you'll see the date and time of your last backup. If you get an alert that you don't have enough iCloud storage space to complete the backup, follow the onscreen steps to upgrade your iCloud storage.
An iPhone showing the screen at Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. The iCloud Backup toggle is turned on.

If your iPhone is locked, the 'Automatically back up with iCloud Backup' section of that article explains how your iPhone might have backed up automatically using iCloud already.

You can also see all the available ways to back up your iPhone here: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If something else is occurring, please provide more details so that we can continue to assist.

Cheers!

Dec 30, 2022 12:20 PM in response to rhilmi

rhilmi wrote:

There is no means to create a wholly new backup of an iPhone, sourced from an existing and locked iPhone.

The backups must either pre-date the occurrence of the lock, or the iPhone must be unlocked with the passcode prior to creating the new backup.

The passcode is a prerequisite to dumping the contents of the iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.