Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NFS and MacOSX

Hi,

I have a NFS server running on a Linux machine on my (home) local network, and I would want my powerbook (also on the local network) to access the volumes exported by the Linux server.

On the server side, i added the IP of my powerbook in /etc/exports, run exportfs -ra, and on the client (my powerbook) I tried to connect to the server by:

nfs://IPadress of the server.

But the mac tells me the connection to server [IPadress] has failed.

Did I miss something ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

twoony.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 10:14 AM

Apple prefers SMB shares, so consider enabling and exporting that on the Linux server, and all will likely be happy.

NFS support and interest has seemingly been fading at Apple particularly, and elsewhere more generally as well.

If you do want NFS and there is no good option for SMB on this Linux server, here are some reasonable and reasonably-recent setup instructions:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apple-mac-osx-nfs-mount-command-tutorial/

If you’re setting up a network share more generally, installing and using TrueNAS on the storage server can be a reasonable choice.

And to avoid some potential confusion, this probably isn’t about a PowerBook (as those won’t run anything past Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6), and the footer here shows Mojave macOS 10.14 and not Monterey (macOS 12) where this is posted. I’m going to assume a MacBook, or MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, and macOS Mojave, in the above.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 10:14 AM in response to twoony

Apple prefers SMB shares, so consider enabling and exporting that on the Linux server, and all will likely be happy.

NFS support and interest has seemingly been fading at Apple particularly, and elsewhere more generally as well.

If you do want NFS and there is no good option for SMB on this Linux server, here are some reasonable and reasonably-recent setup instructions:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apple-mac-osx-nfs-mount-command-tutorial/

If you’re setting up a network share more generally, installing and using TrueNAS on the storage server can be a reasonable choice.

And to avoid some potential confusion, this probably isn’t about a PowerBook (as those won’t run anything past Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6), and the footer here shows Mojave macOS 10.14 and not Monterey (macOS 12) where this is posted. I’m going to assume a MacBook, or MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, and macOS Mojave, in the above.

NFS and MacOSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.