Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to mount nfs share in Ventura

Hello, all the information on NFS shares are completely outdated. I am looking for a way to natively connect to a NFS share on MacOS 13.1 Ventura.

I setup a NFS server on Windows server 2019. On the Mac, I attempted to go to Go > Connect to server and entered in:

nfs://server_ip/share

I also tried to mount from terminal using:

servername:/share

Neither works. Firewall is turned off on the windows server. Given that everything I found on NFS for mac is severely outdated, it doesn't surprise me that those old methods don't work anymore.

I am aware I can use SMB but I wanted to see if I could mount NFS as a learning experience.

Mass-Storage Management Software

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 4:02 PM

10 replies

Mar 8, 2023 9:18 AM in response to Evanc116

Identify which version of NFS your target server is running: v2/v3/v4.

For my M1 Macbook Pro running Ventura 13.2.1

• "showmount -e <nfs_ip>" properly displayed permissions, I was not able to authenticate & mount successfully
  • My nfs server was configured only for nfs v4
  • Enabling support for nfs v2/v3 enabled my Macbook to successfully mount the nfs share
  • Apple Support Docs do not specify nfs version support: Network address formats and protocols on Mac - Apple Support
  • Please review if nfs v2/v3 is appropriate for your use-case and meets your security model requirements

Jan 16, 2023 7:55 AM in response to Evanc116

Again, Windows is not my area of expertise. I recommend reading and understanding this: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/nfs-identity-mapping-in-windows-server-2012/ba-p/424602

However, I did test this out and it appears that you may be missing an NTFS permission. When I setup the NFS share on the test server, I initially was able to mount the share but it mounted as read restricted. I messed around a bit and after adding an Everyone entry to the NTFS permissions of the share, I was then able to mount and write to the share. Please note, in my case I am using unmapped user attributes.

The final thought, I was able to replicate your exact error. This was if the three Kerberos authentication options were checked in the NFS service settings. Since my Mac is not bound to the AD domain, I don't have the keytab data and thus cannot participate in Kerberos auth. If you have the three Kerberos options enabled and your Mac is not bound to the domain, try disabling them.

Hope this nudges you in the right direction.

Reid

Jan 15, 2023 4:35 PM in response to Evanc116

Try running the following command on your Mac to make sure your system has rights to the NFS share:

showmount -e <host>

Replace <host> with the FQDN or IP address of the device providing the NFS service.

If the client device has rights to the NFS share, you should get a result back showing the path to the Share and the permissions mapping. For example, if this was hosted on a Mac, the path might be something like:

/Users/Shared/Data   Everyone

One note about NFS paths. Unlike AFP/SMB shares, you tend to have to use the entire file system path in the connect to server dialog. For example, an SMB share using the same folder above would be smb://host/Data. But NFS would be nfs://host/Users/Shared/Data.

Now, Windows is not my game. But, I will assume Windows is respecting the same rules that *nix and macOS do. Start with the showmounts command to make sure you can see the share. If so, use the reported path in your connect to server URL.

Hope this is helpful.

Reid

Jan 23, 2023 8:57 PM in response to Strontium90

Just to give you an update, I was also unsuccessful in mounting NFS on a Synology NAS, same error. I verified it has the right permissions for both NFS and the folder itself and it is using the correct path. VMware can connect to the exact same NFS share. When I tried to connect to the NAS on Mac, it immediately errored out like it didn't even try. This is definitely the Mac's fault so I am contacting Apple Support.

Feb 22, 2023 1:17 PM in response to Waynefrommtl

Not really. For AD joined Mac I had to set the permission to use kerberos but only the krb5 one, the others don't work. Also I had to use NFSv3. I could not get it to work with NFSv4 since the Mac connection requires the insecure parameter on the exports file and there is no way to set that in Windows server.

So the Mac does connect with NFSv3 but when I upload a file to the NFS share, the wrong permissions are applied and it makes the file unusable until I correct it administratively. So it pretty much ignored the permissions I configured for the share. I went back to using SMB for now.

Apple support was unable to help me with this. They told me they had no knowledge of NFS.

Feb 23, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Evanc116

WoW.. what a response.

Perhaps just a little high-handed of them.

I am trying another avenue, I have the same application on Catalina and Ventura.

Application works on Catalina, does not work Ventura. (using SMB).

In both cases the network share is visible and mounts at OS level... but fails in the app. on Ventura.

I am hoping the app. maker will have a solution that may provide some insight.

I will also ask about doing it using NFS... (used to work for NFS too)

Apr 14, 2023 5:49 AM in response to Evanc116

I have a different related problem that might shed light on what's going on. I'm using a Synology NAS as the NFS server, and got it working on older Macs (after quite some struggles), but the same incantations didn't work on my new machine running Ventura. It exports a number of filesystems as NFS, SMB and AFP.

On Ventura, I can manually mount an NFS share, but no files are accessible (Operation not permitted) - this sounds like your problem so far.

umount doesn't work, but diskutil unmount does.

Then I access the same share using AFP (separately exported as AFP from the same server). Files are visible in Finder.

Try again to mount using nfs, still same problem, unmount again.

Access one of the files (any file) using the AFP share, that works, I can read the files not just list them.

Then, mount the NFS share again, IT WORKS!!! Files are visible and readable.

I had to repeat this procedure for each filesystem, so it's not something to do with the server credentials alone.

I suspect something strange is going on with user credentials, but can't help more than that guess.

I had had a policy of mounting these filesystems under /Shared, but I needed to edit /etc/synthetic.conf to make that appear as a symbolic link to System/Volumes/Data/Shared, where I created my mount points.

I still cannot get the automount daemon to mount these NFS shares on first use. This much progress was the result of four hours of work, and now I'm fried. No auto mount, but at least I have my network shares.

How to mount nfs share in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.