Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable pop up notification “Update Apple ID Settings” on Mac OS Ventura 13.1?

I recently updated to 13.1 and am notified every time I boot to this notification.

I do not use Mac OS logged in and I don’t want to. I use my Mac for work and don’t use any iCloud features or the App Store.

There is also now a red badge on my settings app. When I go to notifications on 13.1 I notice there is no way to mute notifications from System Preferences.

I do not need an Apple ID or iCloud features on my work computer. I do not wish to create one for this purpose. How do I disable/mute this notification from re-appearing?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 10:13 AM

A pop-up per day is enough to bounce a customer.

11 replies

Jan 19, 2023 7:02 AM in response to Unnamed4783

this is unacceptable. i have 3 macbooks that I use, but do not own. They will never connect to any cloud in such a way. I am not saving family fotos and grocery lists. Those of us that procure hardware like this, en masse, are itching to switch to Arch, etc... Please stop this behavior, i dont want my stuff in your cloud. thank you though.

Jan 16, 2023 2:30 PM in response to tasingta

I've tried signing in and signing back out, once signed out the constant nag reappears. I do not want to be signed in with an AppleID, as I don't want to use the App Store or iCloud, and I don't want to be identified personally now that Apple is heavily engaging in the advertising market.

This is very clearly a broken design, note the "Enter the password for the Apple ID "(null")" prompt in the image.

I am seeing the same behavior on an 2018 MBP 15" and 2020 Air M1, both since 13.1 install.

I'd greatly appreciate if Apple would stop doing 50% of the obnoxious behaviors of Microsoft and claiming that that is acceptable / "privacy".

Dec 29, 2022 7:54 PM in response to Unnamed4783

Unnamed4783 wrote:

I recently updated to 13.1 and am notified every time I boot to this notification.

I do not use Mac OS logged in and I don’t want to. I use my Mac for work and don’t use any iCloud features or the App Store.

There is also now a red badge on my settings app. When I go to notifications on 13.1 I notice there is no way to mute notifications from System Preferences.

I do not need an Apple ID or iCloud features on my work computer. I do not wish to create one for this purpose. How do I disable/mute this notification from re-appearing?

It would be simple enough to “Update Apple ID Settings” whether you use it or not...

or talk to your work IT department if it bound to some Enterprise, JAMF, MDM, active directory list (?)

You can Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Jan 12, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Old Toad

I've had that issue for weeks now.

- I open System Settings

- click on the "Update Apple ID Settings" notification at the top, then click the "Continue" button that is displayed

- fill in my Apple ID (email) and password

- fill in the OTP sent to my phone

Cursor spins for a bit, the screen clears, and I'm back to the 2nd step above, and can repeat 2/3/4 steps as much as I wish. I still have the notification and will have it pop up again tomorrow. Power down and restart hasn't affected it.

Jan 16, 2023 3:51 PM in response to tliebeck

Have you tired it from a Safe Mode boot?

Really don't know what you mean by the advertising comment. I've been signed in with my Apple ID for over 20 years and don't remember getting more than maybe 1 email per month regarding AppleTV, Apple Music or system updates/upgrades.

Where do you get your 3rd party apps if not from the App Store?

Jan 17, 2023 9:49 AM in response to Old Toad

For me, yes I tried the safe boot methodd - no change.

Oddly though, after giving up on it days ago, I tried it again today and the issue is resolved! It didn't just spin, it finally moved on to the T&C agreement blah blah and let me all the way through the sign-in process. Finally the red badge is gone from my system settings icon in the dock.

Disable pop up notification “Update Apple ID Settings” on Mac OS Ventura 13.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.