Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to import photos from iPhone to MacOS Photos app after upgrade to MacOS Ventura

Hi there,

as in the heading described I am not able to import my iPhone's photos to my Mac's photoslibrary.

What I have done, but have not worked:

• connect my phone to Mac as I always do to import my photos -> open photos -> click on my device -> choose photos -> click import

My problem is, even if I just select one photo to import, it won't work. The status thing thing on the upper bar always says "importing 0 from 1 object".

The same issue is there if I just drag and drop a photo from my desktop to this photos library.

What I tried so far:

• I used this official manual from apple
  • I created another photoslibrary on my external ssd (there where the not working photos library is located, Disk space reasons)
  • I created another photoslibrary, this time on my Mac's drive
  • I created another user on my Mac (together with apple support), and tried to import with that
  • I used my fathers MacBook, but I got the same issue (not importing, just 0 from 1 object...)
  • I tried other devices of me (my iPad Pro, iPod touch) but from this devices I am not able to impost photos as well

I guess there is a bug in apple's photos app in MacOS Ventura (I use MacOS 13.1).

But wether, I don't know where to report it.

The Apple support told me to simply use the iCloud to transfer my photos. But I do not even use iCloud Photos. The other option is to reset my Mac, they told me. But I am going to avoid it, because it is a lot of work and a risk of data lose.

So, if there are any suggestions, please share that!

Thank you for your advice.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 7:43 AM

What format is the external drive? It needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or apfs. This issue is arising on drives formatted Ex Fat or similar.

If this is the case then you need to reformat the drive with Disk Utility. Just bear in mind that reformatting will erase the drive so back up first.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2022 7:43 AM in response to bnfone

What format is the external drive? It needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or apfs. This issue is arising on drives formatted Ex Fat or similar.

If this is the case then you need to reformat the drive with Disk Utility. Just bear in mind that reformatting will erase the drive so back up first.

Dec 31, 2022 7:18 AM in response to bnfone

You didn't mention re-starting in Safe Mode, so you should try that, first. It's different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

Have you tried AirDrop as a workaround?

Another thing try is to use the app Image Capture in the Applications folder. If that doesn't work, then that's more information.

Unable to import photos from iPhone to MacOS Photos app after upgrade to MacOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.