Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reformat a new 12 TB hard drive that won't allow me to erase?

I bought a new external HD from WD and it is set as read only. I have tried to erase and reformat, but every time I try to erase it gives me an error message. I've run the repair command, and it states everything is OK on the disk, but erase doesn't work.

Connecting to a 27 iMac 2020 computer.

iMac

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 1:43 PM

Lynda, this might help. It's another thread on this same subject from 2017.

WD External Drive is Read Only? - Apple Community

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 31, 2022 4:36 PM in response to Randall_2023

Yes, that was what I as using. I ran First aid and it said the disk was fine, but when I attempt to erase & reformat I get

Erase process has failed. Click Done to continue.

Erasing “Elements” (disk2s1) and creating “Elements”

The volume “Elements” on disk2s1 couldn’t be unmounted because it is in use by process 26735 (diskimagesiod)

Couldn’t unmount disk. : (-69888)

Operation failed…

Jan 1, 2023 4:03 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I've tried that more times than I can count. Doesn't work. After downloading Paragon, I found out it had not been updated for Ventura. Did some on-line searches looking for additional solutions and found an article saying that Paragon had finally updated its program to run Ventura, but it didn't work for me. I've filed a request for them to get back to me with instructions or refund my money. Their request form does not even have a link for Ventura, so I had to list an old version to even be able to submit my request. Not confidence building.

How to reformat a new 12 TB hard drive that won't allow me to erase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.