Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil eraser cannot increase its circle area by changing its angle

Hi, since iOS 16.1 Apple Pencil has lost important functionality: when using an eraser you cannot increase its circle area by changing an angle of Apple Pencil on an iPad. It was so productive and it’s gone now.

The only way I see is clicking eraser symbol, then different sizes appear.

That’s horrible step back. Since now, Apple Pencil is not so magic :-(.

Do you think is a bug?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 5:46 PM

Apple Pencil has lost important functionality: when using an eraser you cannot increase its circle area by changing an angle of Apple Pencil on an iPad. It was so productive and it’s gone now.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2023 5:46 PM in response to EldoRadek

Apple Pencil has lost important functionality: when using an eraser you cannot increase its circle area by changing an angle of Apple Pencil on an iPad. It was so productive and it’s gone now.

Dec 31, 2022 4:45 PM in response to EldoRadek

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with the eraser function on your Apple Pencil since updating to iOS 16.1. It's possible that this could be a bug in the software, and it's worth checking to see if there are any updates available that might address the issue.

To check for updates on your iPad, go to the Settings app, tap "General," and then tap "Software Update." If there is an update available, download and install it and see if that resolves the issue with the eraser function on your Apple Pencil.

If there are no updates available or if updating the software doesn't help, you may want to try restarting your iPad to see if that resolves the issue. To restart your iPad, press and hold the power button until you see the "slide to power off" slider. Then, slide the power off slider to the right to turn off your iPad. Once your iPad is off, press and hold the power button again to turn it back on.

If you're still having issues with the eraser function after trying these steps, you may want to consider contacting Apple Support for further assistance. They may be able to help troubleshoot the issue and provide additional guidance.

I hope this helps resolve the issue you're experiencing with your Apple Pencil. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Feb 5, 2023 9:47 PM in response to Maku2303

Problem cause is still unclear from my perspective. With Apple Technical Assistant we’ve made several trials and have grabbed some wideo screenshots for Technical Support engineers.

I have no feedback, yet. Afraid I had missed 1 call from Assistant, while I was working and couldn’t receive it. Hope for next call.

However, circle area increase by changing an apple pencil works fine in drawing, no sense to cancel this for eraser tool. We definitely need it back.

Mar 5, 2023 2:47 AM in response to EldoRadek

I have the same problem. The Apple pencil eraser is not increasing its circle area by changing its angle since the last update. I use a lot the magic pencil for both writing and drawing and this is really inconvenient. There are no more updates available for the system and I tried restarting the Ipad and the problem remains.

I hope this is being fixed

Apple Pencil eraser cannot increase its circle area by changing its angle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.