Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I edit photos with Mac?

When I had Windows, there was a site within Photos where I could edit photos? I find nothing with Mac...except buying an app for $240/yr....which i will not do.

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 11:44 PM

Hello,

There is a section of the Photos for Mac User Guide about editing photos the link below is for the first article of that section.

Photo editing basics in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Preview is also useful for photo editing. Below I included a link for the feature I use most from its photo editing section.

Extract an image or remove a background in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2022 11:44 PM in response to rlcpd

Hello,

There is a section of the Photos for Mac User Guide about editing photos the link below is for the first article of that section.

Photo editing basics in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Preview is also useful for photo editing. Below I included a link for the feature I use most from its photo editing section.

Extract an image or remove a background in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

Jan 1, 2023 9:55 PM in response to léonie

Hey there,

I know you were answering rather than asking but I wanted to add in Shortcuts as a possible suggestion for additional photo editing capabilities. The below link is for the Shortcut "Combine Screenshots and Share" which isn't exactly what you mentioned as missing but you might be able to edit this to make it what you wanted.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/d35d34eee3ed4595b808bbbfe6e0edc1 (This link was made using the Shortcut App's share button. The Shortcut is one of the Apple made ones from the Gallery.)

The Shortcuts Gallery has a section for Photography but is a bit limited so far.

Discover shortcuts in the Gallery on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 3, 2023 10:03 AM in response to rlcpd

Have you clicked the tiny disclosure triangles to the left of the name of an adjustment to see the full options? The adjustments in Photos for Mac are more versatile than on the iPhone, but you have to reveal the full options. My screenshot is in German, sorry, but right now I do not want to interrupt Photos to change the language to English. You can remove blemishes with the Retouch tool. It has an icon like a sticking plaster.

Jan 1, 2023 1:26 AM in response to rlcpd

Both Photos app and Preview, which are installed as part of the OS can be used to edit photographs. Plus you can install any of maybe a hundred other image editors if you prefer. Search on the App Store. What exactly to use depends on what your requirements are. Congrats on finding the (by far) most expensive option.

Jan 1, 2023 6:48 AM in response to rlcpd

What kind of edits do you want? Photos has easy tu use tools to develop the lighting, colors , contrast, sharpness, straighten a photo or to remove blemishes. What is missing are tools to to combine several photos into one photo, for example, replace a face by another face. For such composition tasks try the basic tools in Preview or use third party editors, also, if you want batch processing, which is very limited in Photos.

How can I edit photos with Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.