Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music App

Some songs were located in folder in a playlist where they didn't belong. On-line, I found a recommendation to delete the items from the folder, with Delete from Library (I was suspicious of this). When I did this, it asked whether I should put the items into the Trash, which I did not choose. However, the items were also deleted from the playlist folder where they did belong. How to I restore them? I know where the files are in the ITunes folder on my Mac. I have tried various things to get them back into the Playlist, and to where they belong, without success. I also do not understand why deleting a playlist item from one folder would delete the item from another. I realize now that I should just have used cmd-x, but shouldn't that be a clear option? Is this just one big design flaw? Anyway, I would like to restore the playlist.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 10:07 PM

Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification.

When you deleted them from your Library that is what would have removed them from all Playlists (since they are no longer in your Library to be in your Playlists). Since you chose to keep the files they are likely going to be easier to add back into your Library.

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

"Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

If you have songs or music video files on your computer, you can import them into Music so they appear in your music library.

1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose File > Add To Library or File > Import.
  2. If you selected “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” in Files settings, you see File > Import.
  3. Locate a file or folder, then click Open.
  4. If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.

Tip: You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it.

By default, Music places a copy of each audio file in the Music folder (Home/Music/Music) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your music files are stored.

When you import an item by dragging it to the Music window or choosing File > Add To Library or File > Import, a reference (or “pointer”) to the item—not the item itself—is placed in the Music folder. You might not be able to play the song if you move it."

For future reference this is the option I believe you intended to use when deleting the songs from the Playlist they didn't belong in.

Create, edit, and delete playlists in Music on Mac - Apple Support

"Remove an item: Select the item and press the Delete key.

• If the deleted song is already in your library, removing it from a playlist doesn’t remove it from your library or storage device."

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 10:07 PM in response to Coriscus

Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification.

When you deleted them from your Library that is what would have removed them from all Playlists (since they are no longer in your Library to be in your Playlists). Since you chose to keep the files they are likely going to be easier to add back into your Library.

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

"Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

If you have songs or music video files on your computer, you can import them into Music so they appear in your music library.

1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose File > Add To Library or File > Import.
  2. If you selected “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” in Files settings, you see File > Import.
  3. Locate a file or folder, then click Open.
  4. If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.

Tip: You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it.

By default, Music places a copy of each audio file in the Music folder (Home/Music/Music) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your music files are stored.

When you import an item by dragging it to the Music window or choosing File > Add To Library or File > Import, a reference (or “pointer”) to the item—not the item itself—is placed in the Music folder. You might not be able to play the song if you move it."

For future reference this is the option I believe you intended to use when deleting the songs from the Playlist they didn't belong in.

Create, edit, and delete playlists in Music on Mac - Apple Support

"Remove an item: Select the item and press the Delete key.

• If the deleted song is already in your library, removing it from a playlist doesn’t remove it from your library or storage device."

I hope this helps.

Jan 1, 2023 12:06 AM in response to Scott-he-him

Thanks! The recommendation I saw said that,to delete a playlist, while in the Music program, right click on the kabob next to the playlist (or whatever it's called) and delete from Library. A window popped up and asked whether I wanted to put the files in the Trash or to keep them. I clicked on "Keep them." This all seems like very bad advice or a very bad understanding of the advice. Anyway, the files are in the folder in the Finder. I just want to get them back into the playlist.

Apple Music App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.