Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple original USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter doesn't work anymore with my Intel MacBook Pro 16 (2019) after macOS Ventura upgrade

I have an Intel MacBook Pro 16 (2019) that worked just perfectly to output HDMI to my TV by using the Apple original dongle. After I upgraded to macOS Ventura, it doesn't work anymore.

Now for the weird thing: I also have a newer M1 Macbook 16 (2021) that I upgraded to macOS Ventura. The same dongle outputs HDMI just fine to my TV from the M1 MacBook, which leads me to believe this is an Intel-only issue.

Anyone else had this problem, and is there any fix? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 10:16 PM

Update: it seems the problem got fixed after upgrading from macOS 13.1 to 13.2.

As a side note: I usually avoid installing new versions of macOS until they get to version x.1 (first minor version), because I want to avoid the bugs early adopters might encounter. Looks like from now on I'll play on the cautious side until the second minor version arrives (x.2), as it's unconceivable that such a bug can be present in a minor stable version. This disrupted my workflow for a couple of months, as I couldn't use any external monitor with my laptop on my day-to-day work until X.2 arrived.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 10:16 PM in response to Handrei

Update: it seems the problem got fixed after upgrading from macOS 13.1 to 13.2.

As a side note: I usually avoid installing new versions of macOS until they get to version x.1 (first minor version), because I want to avoid the bugs early adopters might encounter. Looks like from now on I'll play on the cautious side until the second minor version arrives (x.2), as it's unconceivable that such a bug can be present in a minor stable version. This disrupted my workflow for a couple of months, as I couldn't use any external monitor with my laptop on my day-to-day work until X.2 arrived.

Jan 2, 2023 1:37 PM in response to Handrei

Hello Handrei,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help resolve the issue so you can connect your Mac to your TV again.

Try using these steps to help isolate the issue:

"If your display isn't recognized

If your Mac doesn't recognize your HDTV, display, or other HDMI device after making the connection:

1. Turn off the HDMI device while your Mac is turned on. 
  2. Unplug the HDMI cable from your Mac, then plug it in again.
  3. Turn on the HDMI device."

This Apple Support page has the full details and more steps to take if needed: Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

We hope this helps to get the TV showing as expected again after these steps.

Cheers!

Feb 23, 2023 10:59 PM in response to Handrei

I came here after having issues with connecting a security dongle (USB A) to an original USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter after updating from Monterey to Mac OS Ventura (in my case to 13.2.1). In the end, I learned that this is a built in feature to Ventura, that obviously still is a bit buggy.

The feature limits connecting accessories. A pop up window should appear. Paying close attention, this indeed happens very shortly. Then the window disappears again, being the buggy part of the feature.

On my side it was resolved, changing the setting of "Allow accessories to connect" from "Ask for new accessories" to "Ask every time". After restarting the computer, indeed the pop up window shows. After acknowledging the USB adapter, my security dongle is working again.

This setting is under System Settings/ Privacy & Security/ (scroll down to) Security/ (2nd item, just above FileVault settings).

Afterwards, I changed the setting back to "Ask for new accessories". I have not tested yet if the pop up window bug remains. But I know where to look in case it does. And there is always the option of complete workaround by changing the setting to "Automatically when unlocked" or "Always", if the bug remains. Thus reducing the security level of the device.

Jan 8, 2023 4:38 AM in response to Handrei

Have the same Multi Port OEM Adapter and can get it work on both Retina Intel MBA 2018 and M1 MBA 2020 to work on a Samsung HD TV.

I used the same HMDI cable on both machines so in my case that rolled out an HDMI possible issue.

Though as previous Contributor mentions about the Physical Connect of the Multi-port to computer could be a factor.

One would think the USB-C should work either way but . . . try reversing the USB-C male connector to computer

EDITED

Feb 27, 2023 11:27 AM in response to John Hawkins2

John Hawkins2 wrote:

Doesn't work. Most people saying this is because I'm on Intel Mac. Same hub works on my wife's M1 Mac.

FWIW, I am also on an Intel Mac, and I also do not have the "allow accessories". Searching with Spotlight, or directly in the search box in System Settings, leads me to the correct location, but it's just not there.

I will have access to an Apple Silicon Mac tomorrow, and will compare.

Maybe this is a bug that affects Intel Macs.

Apple original USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter doesn't work anymore with my Intel MacBook Pro 16 (2019) after macOS Ventura upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.