Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder telling me "The application 'OneDrive' could not be found" but it is there

When I'm in Finder and I click on the location 'OneDrive' on the left, it properly shows me all my Microsoft OneDrive folders in the main area, but Finder also gives me a message at the top --

The application "OneDrive" could not be found.

And interestingly, to the right of that message, is a button that I could click on, labeled Delete "OneDrive".

Yet the OneDrive app is clearly on my computer, and it is active.

I do think somehow I have two instances of OneDrive installed, and that may be causing the problem, though I'm not sure what to do about that.

Thanks for any help.

iMac 24″

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 3:30 AM

It only deleted the local copy of my OneDrive files, which stopped syncing after I installed the second version of OneDrive. All files remained in the cloud. The folder was immediately rebuilt after I clicked "open folder" in the OneDrive app and is now syncing.

6 replies

Jan 1, 2023 4:16 PM in response to rick7

rick7 wrote:

When I'm in Finder and I click on the location 'OneDrive' on the left, it properly shows me all my Microsoft OneDrive folders in the main area, but Finder also gives me a message at the top --

The application "OneDrive" could not be found.

And interestingly, to the right of that message, is a button that I could click on, labeled Delete "OneDrive".

Yet the OneDrive app is clearly on my computer, and it is active.

I do think somehow I have two instances of OneDrive installed, and that may be causing the problem, though I'm not sure what to do about that.

Thanks for any help.

See if there is anything here: About the OneDrive compatibility warning on Mac - Apple Support

for you third pary app—

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

OneDrive help & learning - Microsoft Support

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

Microsoft support is very responsive and helpful.

https://support.microsoft.com

Ask the Microsoft Community—quite an active resource

https://answers.microsoft.com/

Jan 22, 2023 5:42 PM in response to tilly6

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It seems counter-intuitive since I want it to *find* OneDrive, but maybe deleting and then re-opening the app will then allow the OS to find it?

A few minutes later: I clicked the button to start the process but stopped because this makes me nervous. I don't want to delete my OneDrive data but rather encourage the OS to find the app.

Jan 22, 2023 3:15 PM in response to rick7

Hey rick7,

I had the same problem after installing "Microsoft 365 Business Pro" over my One Drive app from the App Store. Files weren't syncing. I simply clicked the button you mentioned in Finder labeled Delete "OneDrive", opened the One Drive app in the menu bar, clicked "open folder" and the one drive folder was rebuilt in Finder. Everything is syncing again.

Finder telling me "The application 'OneDrive' could not be found" but it is there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.