Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding my work folder to Macintosh HD

As of last week, I have a new iMac 24 and one of the first things I noticed is I can no longer create a work folder on the Macintosh HD. I've temporarily placed the folder on the desktop but that makes it difficult to backup to Time Machine without including other huge files which I don't want to archive. Is there a relatively simple way of resolving this problem, assuming it's okay to do so?

It may be worth mentioning that I currently cannot edit the list nor add myself (the sole owner of the iMac) to the list, Sharing & Permissions: "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission".

Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks,

sheffgraph

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 12:26 PM

Starting in macOS Catalina, you cannot write to Macintosh HD since it's read-only:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina or later - Apple Support.

In macOS Big Sur 11 and later, it's taken a step further when a read-only signed system volume (SSV) is used:

Again, this translates to you can't place files directly on the Macintosh HD disk. However, you can put files anywhere in your Users folder (Macintosh HD > Users > your account).

but that makes it difficult to backup to Time Machine without including other huge files which I don't want to archive. Is there a relatively simple way of resolving this problem, assuming it's okay to do so?

Time Machine backs up everything on your Mac. Are you saying you don't want Time Machine to backup a specific folder(s) on your Mac? If so, Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support.

Jack

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2023 12:26 PM in response to sheffgraph1

Starting in macOS Catalina, you cannot write to Macintosh HD since it's read-only:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina or later - Apple Support.

In macOS Big Sur 11 and later, it's taken a step further when a read-only signed system volume (SSV) is used:

Again, this translates to you can't place files directly on the Macintosh HD disk. However, you can put files anywhere in your Users folder (Macintosh HD > Users > your account).

but that makes it difficult to backup to Time Machine without including other huge files which I don't want to archive. Is there a relatively simple way of resolving this problem, assuming it's okay to do so?

Time Machine backs up everything on your Mac. Are you saying you don't want Time Machine to backup a specific folder(s) on your Mac? If so, Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support.

Jack

Adding my work folder to Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.