Print settings are a MESS in Ventura

Ever since "upgrading" to OS Ventura my print settings are a complete mess. Nothing "sticks" no matter how often I change presets and save them, it always defaults back to garbage output with two-sided printing defaulting to "On", incorrect paper trays selected despite saving presets for specific paper trays etc.

When will this be resolved? It's a MAJOR issue for people who print frequently, and makes the new "update" a complete mess for small businesses.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 9:48 AM

Frankly, I wish it had been that simple. Resetting the Apple Print System in Ventura and reinstalling drivers is not a solution that worked on my Mac Pro, my personal MacBook Pro, or my work MacBook Air. I had persistent problems with Ventura printing on a slew of printers of many manufacturers: HP DesignJet Z9+, an HP OfficeJet 4650, Epson SureColor P600, Xerox Versalink 8000, and Xerox C9070. Print presets did not work, as in not retaining specific print settings, and Lightroom Classic printed wrong colors on the HP Z9+ using the same workflow that I had used before in Catalina and Monterey OS.

When reinstalling the HP OfficeJet 4650 Drivers using HP Easy in my reinstalled Monterey for the MBA, I have not been able to get the HP driver to work. I had to find an older HP Mac OS diver set from the Apple Support Downolads site and use the PPD for an earlier HP OfficeJet 4630 to get it to be able to print without an error. The Apple AirPrint driver also works for that printer. So HP makes coding errors too it seems. There is nothing "HP Easy" about a print failing after it starts and giving the inscrutable message "filter failed."

It seems there is a deeper issue here that Apple (and to some extent printer manufacturers) have not fixed, and people who need anything beyond basic print functionality have been harmed by the bugs in the print system in Ventura, causing wasted time, ink, and paper (which can get very expensive for high end photo printing).

Similar questions

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 9:48 AM in response to James Brickley

Frankly, I wish it had been that simple. Resetting the Apple Print System in Ventura and reinstalling drivers is not a solution that worked on my Mac Pro, my personal MacBook Pro, or my work MacBook Air. I had persistent problems with Ventura printing on a slew of printers of many manufacturers: HP DesignJet Z9+, an HP OfficeJet 4650, Epson SureColor P600, Xerox Versalink 8000, and Xerox C9070. Print presets did not work, as in not retaining specific print settings, and Lightroom Classic printed wrong colors on the HP Z9+ using the same workflow that I had used before in Catalina and Monterey OS.

When reinstalling the HP OfficeJet 4650 Drivers using HP Easy in my reinstalled Monterey for the MBA, I have not been able to get the HP driver to work. I had to find an older HP Mac OS diver set from the Apple Support Downolads site and use the PPD for an earlier HP OfficeJet 4630 to get it to be able to print without an error. The Apple AirPrint driver also works for that printer. So HP makes coding errors too it seems. There is nothing "HP Easy" about a print failing after it starts and giving the inscrutable message "filter failed."

It seems there is a deeper issue here that Apple (and to some extent printer manufacturers) have not fixed, and people who need anything beyond basic print functionality have been harmed by the bugs in the print system in Ventura, causing wasted time, ink, and paper (which can get very expensive for high end photo printing).

Jan 17, 2023 11:24 AM in response to Micah D.

I'm having the same issue. My brother printer, which I've adored, is no longer allowing me to turn OFF the duplexing, which means I cannot print checks here in my office as needed. I contacted Brother, and they have firmly stated that they have no intentions of providing a driver for OS 13/Ventura. So, apple, please please please fix it! I need to get my old printer drivers working as they should, as they have, vs. the generic print screen now provided by Ventura, which is disfunctional and inoperative/responsive. This should not force a dump of a printer that's a tank otherwise--

Jan 5, 2023 9:52 AM in response to James Brickley

I did this (reset the print system and re-added printers) and it made things WORSE, so of course Apple makes this the recommended reply.

Now, in addition to none of my print settings actually being saved regardless of how often I create and save new presets, everything is printing double sided even when double sided is CLEARLY selected as OFF.

Is this really not going to be addressed? Ventura utterly ruined the printing on my imac, and Apple has no response?

Jan 2, 2023 8:07 PM in response to Micah D.

I had this problem on one of my Macs and I had to do the following:

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem - Apple Support

Then re-install / re-add your printer.

If it's an HP brand printer, there is a nifty HP Smart App on the Mac App Store that works wonders with installing appropriate drivers for the printer.

My specific problem was the Mac refused to print in color despite all settings and presets being correct. It started working after resetting the print system and re-installing the printer.

Feb 27, 2023 11:58 PM in response to Micah D.

So I see that I am not alone with the high level of frustration with Apple printing. I've been trying to print a custom size card and after print system reset and recreating custom sizes for not one, not 2 but 4 different printers and 3 different Macs, I can ONLY get it to work on an OkiMC573. (Kyocera, Fuji and OkiMB472 did not work.) Did not recognise the card size, wrong tray you name it nothing worked except for the OkiMC573. Unfortunately the printer it has to work on for our business is the Kyocera. This is abysmal. We had trouble with printing generally in previous versions on MacOS but Ventura is the worst. How hard is it - please. Get your act together Apple.

Mar 29, 2023 8:19 AM in response to Micah D.

I painfully reloaded Monterey Mac OS on my Mac Pro that I use for photo printing because Ventura completely messed up printing to my HP Designjet Z9+ and Epson Surecolor P600. I mistakenly upgraded my work MackBook Air to Ventura and continue to have nothing but trouble with printing to various laser and inkjet printers at the lab on that machine. Presets simply do not work in Ventura. Nothing remains fixed and everything resets to default with ever print job. It does not matter what application or printer is used. No settings carry over from job to job, and presets don't set or keep any print property. Why is Apple not fixing this?

For people who don't want to wipe their drive and reload Mac OS Monterey and their data, I suppose they could buy a Parallels virtual machine license and then install Monterey in the Parallels VM (It's not just for Windows). Then they could set up printing in the VM. I hope that would work, but maybe do a test trial of Parallels before committing money to it.

Apr 23, 2023 6:26 AM in response to James Parker2

As a professional photographer with two large format printers, the bug has been a real issue. After many hours of testing, reloading the print drivers for both printers, and checking different workflows, I found that the ONLY way to get a proper print out of Lightroom or Photoshop is to NOT create a preset using Apple’s double preset system. Making each setting manually does allow the app to control printing rather than the printer.

When selecting color “Managed by Printer” in Lightroom, it’s possible to switch between ColorSync and Epson Color Controls, and choose the proper printer profile. Going back into LR and changing the color management tab to the proper profile then grays out ColorSync, but leaves it selected, as it should, and avoids double profiling.

Currently running Ventura 13.3.1

Apr 24, 2023 8:45 PM in response to James Parker2

I'm running a studio in Korea. I've had this problem and quickly reverted back to Monterey back in the two weeks of Ventura's release after wasting several photo papers, ink, and my time (all the while struggling, fidgeting settings, crashing the LRC in the process to print properly for my clients/in front of my clients🤦‍♂️). And AGAIN a while back, I think it was along the line of 13.2.x, hoping the issue was resolved. But nope, it was still there and had to spend my night restoring files from TimeMachine which didn't work as expected on recovery and had to connect the snapshot manually navigate to the folders and back up files from snapshots on my NAS(TBC, TimeMachine not working as expected is partially my fault storing them on my NAS. So no complaint there). I can't believe that the problem is not yet fixed on the latest version of OS. At this point, I'm deeply disappointed on Apple and all 3rd party developers for dragging this critical issue for professionals while all of them boast features/specs that are developed/designed for professionals in mind.

May 3, 2023 5:36 AM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron, You may be able to edit this behavior in CUPS, which is the Common UNIX Printing System, part of the UNIX system underneath Mac OS. You will need to enable the CUPS web interface then go to the CUPS in a web browser, pick your printer, and edit its default properties to disable 2 sided printing. I won't post the details since Apple might get mad about that, but you can Google it.

Sep 6, 2023 10:25 PM in response to Micah D.

Same here: Just can't enable our printer duplexer anymore. Each print is single sided now, we simply can't find how to set it right.

Let me be very clear:

This *was* my reason to switch to MAC at that time when Jobs finally returned to Apple.

Now we are in the same mess as back then with Micro$oft.....

What the heck is going on at Apple? I really really don't understand.

The last couple of years I am not so happy anymore with the updates we had. We are slowly sliding off to a position where one do not see the difference to choose between Apple or Micro$oft.

Something with library validation we have found. WTF? Xerox is trying to help us out, but hey, it always have worked very very fine, with all the Xerox standard features available. No warnings, no hints, nothing. The same feel as back then when you entered 'help' in Micro$oft: It never had the answer you were looking for ;-)

It is an utter mess, and I think with SW development Apple should restructure and *listen* to their customers.

Jan 29, 2023 5:50 AM in response to Micah D.

I have an HP Z9+ large format printer and Ventura effed up printing big time from Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, and pretty much everything else. Paper orientation, ICC color matching screwed up at first. Then I reset the print system and uninstalled and reinstalled the HP PS and Raster drivers. Now the Apple print presets WILL NOT keep the paper type, print quality, and gloss enhancer settings from one print to another. WTF!?! Apple? Why is this so unstable? FIX IT!

Print settings are a MESS in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.