Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail / gmail 2 emails got combined

I have Gmail coming into my Mac Mail app via IMAP(I think)

I recently deleted an email into the trash of Mac mail & then realised I needed it again as it had a code I needed. I dragged it back into the inbox of my account (in Mail) and when I opened it, the body of the email was a completely different email (that I had also deleted). It had a different sender a different subject etc - yet the header in the inbox is the correct email, as is the sender.

Is there any way I can make this go back to being the email it should be? I've looked at Gmail in my browser, and it is still the wrong message. I tried forwarding it as an attachment - still the same problem.

I thought the company could simply resend me the code but they can't do that.

Is there any way I can get this email back?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 3:18 PM

Doubtful, sounds like you have some corruption...

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, look there in Archived & other places.

To prevent future problems but make it even less likely to recover this one...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2023 3:18 PM in response to sleepydwarf

Doubtful, sounds like you have some corruption...

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, look there in Archived & other places.

To prevent future problems but make it even less likely to recover this one...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Apple mail / gmail 2 emails got combined

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.