Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photo labels have disappeared. How do I get them back?

My photo labels have disappeared in iPhotos . How do I get them back?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 2:32 AM

Are the captions and titles missing in the Info when you are opening the info for a selected photo with ⌘I ? Or are the titles missing below the thumbnails? If you are no longer seeing titles below the thumbnails, you may have turned them off in the menu item "View > Metadata". Set the checkmark for "Title". The sites will only be shown, if you set the "Aspect" button to show the photos in the correct aspect ratio, not tiled as squares.

Or are you viewing photos in a shared album? The photos in shared albums do not have titles or captions.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2023 2:32 AM in response to pastagirl2021

Are the captions and titles missing in the Info when you are opening the info for a selected photo with ⌘I ? Or are the titles missing below the thumbnails? If you are no longer seeing titles below the thumbnails, you may have turned them off in the menu item "View > Metadata". Set the checkmark for "Title". The sites will only be shown, if you set the "Aspect" button to show the photos in the correct aspect ratio, not tiled as squares.

Or are you viewing photos in a shared album? The photos in shared albums do not have titles or captions.

Jan 2, 2023 9:44 PM in response to pastagirl2021

To what do you refer when you say "photo labels"? Apple's application "Photos" has titles, captions, and keywords associated with photos and sometimes displays photo filenames. but it doesn't use the word "label" for anything in the U.S. English version.

Whatever they are, where and when did you last see these labels? What has happened since you last saw them? (For example, did you install new software?)

My photo labels have disappeared. How do I get them back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.