Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't Mail automatically recognize hyperlink text as hyperlinks?

When composing emails, how do I make pasted links in Mail automatically links and not text? It seems like every time I have to tell it that the text I just pasted starting with "https" is actually a link, like it's the first time anyone's ever told it that, and go into "Link" and repaste the exact same characters in there that I just pasted into the body of the email.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 7:06 AM

In Apple Mail, create a new Mail message and click once in empty Mail body. Then visit Mail > Edit > Substitutions, and select Smart Links. Back in your new Mail message, type any text URL and with a trailing space, that text will automatically become a hyperlink — as long as you are using Rich Text email.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 7:06 AM in response to XP45

In Apple Mail, create a new Mail message and click once in empty Mail body. Then visit Mail > Edit > Substitutions, and select Smart Links. Back in your new Mail message, type any text URL and with a trailing space, that text will automatically become a hyperlink — as long as you are using Rich Text email.

Jan 3, 2023 8:33 AM in response to XP45

Well it did some something.

It did not cause any issues to the Problematic Computer

You are welcome for the Free Suggestions

Then have a few more free suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue 

3 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Jan 3, 2023 8:07 AM in response to XP45

Can not duplicate this issue.

Just the Test this issue using Apple Mail - I reconfigure the Preferences >> Compose to " Plain Text " and again to

" Rich Text " .

In both cases the Link to your very question came out as per image below

A Functional Hyper-Link ( Url )

refer to 3 images below

Why can't Mail automatically recognize hyperlink text as hyperlinks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.