Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help fix "an error occurred while preparing the installation. try running this application again."

I'm using MBA 13" 2017 and before I decided to erase all the computer data it is running macOS Monterey. After I formatted my computer using disk utility, I encountered some difficulties as I can't reinstall Monterey. I shut it down then turned on the laptop again then it showed the page with folder and a question mark saying "support . apple . com / startup". So I put it on recovery mode by doing the cmd + r. It showed the internet recovery mode with the macOS Utility and it has the option to reinstall the macOS Sierra. (which is fine with me... i just want my computer to be working again :( )

I tried re-installing but it always results to this error. I have tried different tips on how to fix this kind of error such as: updating the date using terminal, deleting the drive, and tried re-installing. But it's still unsuccessful. Also tried researching any answers through this apple forum and over the internet but it still results to the same error.

I don't have any more idea how to fix this. I hope someone can help me.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 10:42 PM

hi! someone from another platform gave me this tip to use a USB keyboard for Windows and use the function Win+alt+r to boot a Monterey installer. So, I did the process: erase drive, then set it to afps. then, tried installing the monterey os and luckily, the error didn't show up. i am hoping this process worked. still waiting for it to finish installing.

after this process, my computer didn't prompt the error i encountered mentioned in this post and the apple logo comes up! i hope this time it will work...

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 10:42 PM in response to jin0624

hi! someone from another platform gave me this tip to use a USB keyboard for Windows and use the function Win+alt+r to boot a Monterey installer. So, I did the process: erase drive, then set it to afps. then, tried installing the monterey os and luckily, the error didn't show up. i am hoping this process worked. still waiting for it to finish installing.

after this process, my computer didn't prompt the error i encountered mentioned in this post and the apple logo comes up! i hope this time it will work...

Jan 4, 2023 8:32 PM in response to BDAqua

I did erase it like what the guides I have followed... the options for format are Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and so on... while scheme options are the GUID Partition Map, etc. (pls see images below)

there's no APFS in the dropdown menu (but i remember encountering this when my macOS ver is in Monterey. I believe ealier versions have the Mac OS Extended, like what u also mentioned on ur first reply.)

I am not sure what part or step I missed or did wrong in erasing drive and reinstalling the OS. 🥺

Jan 4, 2023 8:40 PM in response to jin0624

Yes Sierra requires Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and so on... while scheme options are the GUID Partition Map.

Are you using Shift-Option-⌘-R to get Sierra on it?

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Jan 4, 2023 9:14 PM in response to BDAqua

Okay, so initially when i encountered this issue yesterday, what i did is the Command (⌘)-R since I didn't really understand its difference with the other keyboard functions. It didn't work out.

So just a few minutes ago after i read this reply of yours, I started booting up my computer again... while at it, i did the combination Shift-Option-⌘-R, then it was on internet recovery mode, I started reinstalling and it didn't work out either. the same error pops up again.

will there be any significant effects if i start over and do the same process then restarting/ shutting down the computer after each step???

sorry for the trouble. i just need this laptop to be working again. thank u for your time.

help fix "an error occurred while preparing the installation. try running this application again."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.