Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean installing monterey fail

Hi,

I'm selling my 13'' macbook pro (2017). I was resetting my mac to factory settings and did everything according to apple support. I logged out out of my accounts and then restarted my mac pressing cmd + R and erased ''macintosh HD'' in disk utility. I wanted to check that everything works so I went to reinstall macOS monterey. It takes a solid 1-2.5h and after the package is downloaded mac goes to new screen and error message pops out saying update error. Nothing happens after this and my only option is to restart mac with cmd+R again. I have tried this already 5 times and it just fails. I even tried with cmd+R+shift+option to install High Sierra AND THIS WORKS. After I have successfully installed high sierra and try to update to monterey from app store the same error happens. And i am back to square one. I have tried this route 3 times.

I don't understand why this is happening and i'm going insane. I tried to find answers and could not find anything with this particular issue/situation. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

Note: Before resetting I had monterey and according to apple 2017 should be compatible with monterey so that is not the issue.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 10:34 AM

matmat1 wrote:

I think it originally came with High Sierra but i am not 100% sure. I could leave it to new owner but I want to give the man a 100% working machine. I don't want him to argue with me if he faces the same problems. I want to be done with the trade in one go.

The rules state original macOS: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

High Sierra may have been transitional with HFS+ file format if that is the case you can not install Monterey until you convert to APFS

How to Upgrade to APFS if Not Done in macOS High Sierra Installer - The Mac Observer

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 10:34 AM in response to matmat1

matmat1 wrote:

I think it originally came with High Sierra but i am not 100% sure. I could leave it to new owner but I want to give the man a 100% working machine. I don't want him to argue with me if he faces the same problems. I want to be done with the trade in one go.

The rules state original macOS: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

High Sierra may have been transitional with HFS+ file format if that is the case you can not install Monterey until you convert to APFS

How to Upgrade to APFS if Not Done in macOS High Sierra Installer - The Mac Observer

Mar 6, 2022 10:14 AM in response to matmat1

matmat1 wrote:

Hi,
I'm selling my 13'' macbook pro (2017). I was resetting my mac to factory settings and did everything according to apple support. I logged out out of my accounts and then restarted my mac pressing cmd + R and erased ''macintosh HD'' in disk utility. I wanted to check that everything works so I went to reinstall macOS monterey. It takes a solid 1-2.5h and after the package is downloaded mac goes to new screen and error message pops out saying update error. Nothing happens after this and my only option is to restart mac with cmd+R again. I have tried this already 5 times and it just fails. I even tried with cmd+R+shift+option to install High Sierra AND THIS WORKS. After I have successfully installed high sierra and try to update to monterey from app store the same error happens. And i am back to square one. I have tried this route 3 times.

I don't understand why this is happening and i'm going insane. I tried to find answers and could not find anything with this particular issue/situation. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

Note: Before resetting I had monterey and according to apple 2017 should be compatible with monterey so that is not the issue.

Monterey?

What OS did the 2017 ship with originally...

You should read the details here— What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

If firmware got updated you may not be able to go that far back to a HFS+ File format.

High Sierra (APFS) if it installed I would leave it at that, let the new owner upgrade the macOS

Mar 6, 2022 10:14 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your reply. I hae read that article and I did everything according to that article. And waht do you mean by ''monterey?''. I dont know if my problem is unclear but what I am facing is that i am trying to install macOS monterey again but i fail no matter what I do. I can install macOS High Sierra for Mac Recovery but can't install macOS Monterey. Also after first installing High sierra and then updating from App store gives the same result which is failing to update to Monterey.

I want to add that updating from app store option does not let me restart and keep using mac normally once the error message pops during update process. If i try to restart it just goes straight to the error screen and mac is unusable.

Clean installing monterey fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.