Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-installing macOS Monterey

I received an old MacBook Pro 2017 and I wanted to wipe it clean for me to use. After I deleted all the data and tried to re-install macOS Big Sur (as it originally had Big Sur), I got "Operation couldn't be completed. (PKDownloadError error 8.)". Then, I restarted the MacBook from recovery mode, and could only re-install macOS Monterey. When I try to re-install it, I get the same error.

I've tried deleting the disk sets using Disk Utility, but it still didn't work. I ran First Aid on all the volumes, and got an error when running First Aid on Apple disk image media. The message I got was "Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting. Couldn't mount disk. : (-69842) "

I don't know what that means, perhaps there's something wrong with my hard drive. However, the MacBook worked perfectly fine before I wiped the data. What should I do?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 6:45 AM

nicogalindez wrote:

I received an old MacBook Pro 2017

"Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting. Couldn't mount disk. : (-69842) "

It sounds like this Mac was not prepared properly before you received it—

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

I would Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 6:45 AM in response to nicogalindez

nicogalindez wrote:

I received an old MacBook Pro 2017

"Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting. Couldn't mount disk. : (-69842) "

It sounds like this Mac was not prepared properly before you received it—

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

I would Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Re-installing macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.