Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen protection

My IPad Pro 12.9 inch 2nd generation has one of those glass screen protection layers, I believe. This appears to have broken when I dropped my IPad yesterday. First, is there an easy way to determine if the cracks are in this protective cover or in the actual screen? Second, how do I remove this protective cover?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 9:41 AM

A glass screen protector can usually be easily removed by placing a fingernail under a corner of the screen - and lifting slowly/gently. As you lift the corner, the adhesive will relax.

If the screen protector is itself cracked or broken, you will need to be careful of any broken pieces or shards - although the laminated construction will usually keep the entire screen protector together.

If the screen protector alone is damaged, it has served its purpose in protecting the expensive iPad screen. After removal, it is easily and cheaply replaced with new.

If the iPad screen is seen to have suffered damage after removal of the screen protector, you’ll need to consider either repair of the iPad (entailing a screen replacement), or replacement of the iPad (for older models of iPad, this may be more cost effective.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 9:41 AM in response to Bobbygway123

A glass screen protector can usually be easily removed by placing a fingernail under a corner of the screen - and lifting slowly/gently. As you lift the corner, the adhesive will relax.

If the screen protector is itself cracked or broken, you will need to be careful of any broken pieces or shards - although the laminated construction will usually keep the entire screen protector together.

If the screen protector alone is damaged, it has served its purpose in protecting the expensive iPad screen. After removal, it is easily and cheaply replaced with new.

If the iPad screen is seen to have suffered damage after removal of the screen protector, you’ll need to consider either repair of the iPad (entailing a screen replacement), or replacement of the iPad (for older models of iPad, this may be more cost effective.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Jan 4, 2023 12:49 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I just finished taking the glass screen protector off and it was just that layer that was broken, the actual screen looks fine. To assist in keeping this as mess free as possible, my wife suggested I put some clear packing tape over the screen protector, I did just the areas with the worst spider webbing of cracks. It came off completely cleanly, no shards remained on the IPad. I would strongly recommend that approach.

Screen protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.