Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Confirm iPhone Passcode message

I read the older threads.

This morning my iPhone delivered the notification “Confirm iPhone Passcode. Confirm your iPhone passcode to keep using iCloud. This passcode also protects access to data stored in iCloud.”

At first I thought this might be a new phishing effort, but it also appears in Settings. My phone is an iPhone 12 on iOS 16.2. I installed 16.2 just a few days ago.

Is the fix still a full reset and reinstall (ugh)?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 12:31 PM

My concern is that I share my Apple ID between my work iPhone and my personal iPhones.

I don’t think I use iCloud at all but I can’t be 100% sure about my pictures on my personal iPhones.

My question is if I enter the passcode from my work phone (which is different from my personal phones), will it encrypt the contents of my iCloud Storage with this passcode and make my iCloud data inaccessible to my personal phones?

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2023 12:31 PM in response to BrookwoodRes

My concern is that I share my Apple ID between my work iPhone and my personal iPhones.

I don’t think I use iCloud at all but I can’t be 100% sure about my pictures on my personal iPhones.

My question is if I enter the passcode from my work phone (which is different from my personal phones), will it encrypt the contents of my iCloud Storage with this passcode and make my iCloud data inaccessible to my personal phones?

Mar 17, 2023 11:42 AM in response to SunilKrS

This if related to advanced data protection for iCloud stuff doesn’t make sense. I’ve not turned on that feature and I continue to regularly get this annoying confirmation message from inside settings. For heaven’s sake, I’ve confirmed…now at least a dozen times over the past few months. What more do we have to do IFF advanced data protection is an option to use!

Jun 11, 2023 1:01 PM in response to MC2022FL

I downloaded Apple Support app this morning and I was able to quickly Chat with a person who tried a couple of things and then had a more experienced person Dean call me. He connected to my iPad and saw the error I was getting on both iPad and iPhone. He checked the IOS version and it is 16.5 and it’s the same on iPhone. He researched it and saw that a solution for it is to change the Passcode. I changed my passcode on both iPad and iPhone and if it comes back again, I have a direct contact with him since he owned the case.

Hope this will work and help you all.

Jan 7, 2023 1:50 PM in response to MC2022FL

Hi MC2022FL,

We'll be glad to go over this with you. You shouldn't need to reset or reinstall anything for this. Generally, you just need to enter the passcode it's requesting in order to verify your account. Keep in mind this may be a passcode from another iPhone on your account as well.

This is normal, and protects sensitive data, like passwords, credit card numbers, and Messages stored in iCloud. Once you approve access, only the device that you sign in on can read your data. Complete details on your iCloud data can be found here:

iCloud data security overview

We hope that clears things up.

Cheers.

Jun 13, 2023 5:43 PM in response to jmarse1

Why all of the sudden do I need to, “Confirm iPhone Passcode,” to use iCloud? I’ve never had to verify my passcode before, unless I purchased a new iPhone. This is a terrible idea to have to verify a passcode so many times. Doing so, that often, just opens the door for someone to peek over your shoulder and then have access to your phone. This is absolutely the stupidest idea I’ve heard of. It makes me want to quit using iCloud with its high monthly charge and then update all my files, and photos, to my giant SSD on my home computer.

Feb 13, 2023 11:48 AM in response to jmarse1

I am prompted about once a week to “Confirm iPhone Passcode. Confirm your iPhone passcode to keep using iCloud. This passcode also protects access to data stored in iCloud.” It’s been doing this for the past couple months and is quite aggravating. It also happens weekly on my iPad.

Is there a way to stop it from continually prompting me for this? It never used to do this until a couple months ago.

Confirm iPhone Passcode message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.